Digital Camera

jewelebeanie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for a digital camera that has manual capabilities. I took a photography course at the local community college a couple of years ago and borrowed my dad's Nikkormat. I also have an Olympus 2 megapixel digital camera that is about 6 + years old. I am looking for a decent digital camera that can replace both. I know a Nikkormat is not replacable, but I'd like to get 1 camera instead of having to buy 2. My budget is not that great (max of $400) so an SLR is out of the question, but I would love one of them!

I had been looking at the Canon A95 until I found out that it was discontinued and replaced with the A610. So far the 610 is at the top of my list. I also came across the Nikon 5600 which I liked a bit better than the 610 due to its smaller size, but have not found any websites that indicate that it has a manual mode. Also I have read a few negative reviews on the 5600.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would the Canon A620 (7mp and also above my budget slighty) be a better option than the 610 (5mp)?

jewelebeanie said:
I am looking for a digital camera that has manual capabilities. I took a photography course at the local community college a couple of years ago and borrowed my dad's Nikkormat. I also have an Olympus 2 megapixel digital camera that is about 6 + years old. I am looking for a decent digital camera that can replace both. I know a Nikkormat is not replacable, but I'd like to get 1 camera instead of having to buy 2. My budget is not that great (max of $400) so an SLR is out of the question, but I would love one of them!

I had been looking at the Canon A95 until I found out that it was discontinued and replaced with the A610. So far the 610 is at the top of my list. I also came across the Nikon 5600 which I liked a bit better than the 610 due to its smaller size, but have not found any websites that indicate that it has a manual mode. Also I have read a few negative reviews on the 5600.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would the Canon A620 (7mp and also above my budget slighty) be a better option than the 610 (5mp)?

I imagine you can get a Canon 300D Rebel SLR used on Ebay for your budget. Now that the 350D is out, the new bodies are down in the $600 range if you know how to work the system, so I bet if you were patient, EBay would yield one in your budget.

The a610 and 620 are supposed to be great little cameras for that price range. I was looking at them, but they weren't quite out yet when I was ready to buy a digital. As far as the MP go, it's going to depend on how much cropping you usually do and how big you want to print. With 5mp you can print 11x14 and still have very good image quality assuming you didn't do a ton of cropping to the picture. I've found butterflyphoto.com to have some of the best prices for the cameras themselves (not memory cards etc...) Goodluck

- damian

Most reactions

Back