Digital delay

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I have fuji s5000 and I'm getting anoyed about the dealys of shutter. It is impossible to catch a moment. I get photos not exactly when I click.

Is it normal with digitals? Is there any tip or trick to deal with it?

The Nikon D-70 is a charm. It is ready to go as soon as it is turned on and no delay taking a photo. Operates just like a 35mm slr.

Eric

My DX6490 has a bit of a delay also so I just hold the shutter button down to have it focused until the shot comes up most of the time. I also take a big series of pictures when there is a lot of action.

It does depend on the model and camera you have. It's just one of those features that consumers usually think about after they have bought their cameras. Ricoh's Caplio GX digital camera has an extremely fast 0.12 second shutter lag...basically in human terms no shutter lag. Although it's start up time is 1.2 seconds which is definitely tolerable.

According to Steve's Digicams, when pre-focused your camera has a shutter lag of 3/10 of a second (almost a full second if it has to focus first).

As for dealing with it, it sounds like you need to counter-act the shutter lag with learning to snap a bit before the peak action.

Yes, every camera has shutter-lag, some more than others. Once you know what it is, you can allow for it.

welll - now that you say it... I am onto my second digital camera - my Kodak camera was really quite good in terms of lag...
However - my second camera - a fuji finepix A210 - it is has a fair bit of lag - and I am in the same boat in terms of missing that shot...

I have no idea what to do (but I am looking for a new camera - was thinking of the higher end fuji's - but I might reconsider after reading that)

Hope this helps... I dunno how it would. but it might

AIRIC said:
The Nikon D-70 is a charm. It is ready to go as soon as it is turned on and no delay taking a photo. Operates just like a 35mm slr.

Eric

I Am so gonna buy that camera...Id save for years...how much does a kidney go for these days? :p

molested_cow said:
If you switch off your LCD preview it may be faster.

Cow.. why lcd? What it has in common with lags in my cam?

I read somewhere that shutter lag isn't as bad as auto focus lag, some digital cameras have almost no shutter lag but the auto focus can take about half a second.

Turning off the LCD preview only help with write time when shooting rapidly

Shutter lag is the dirty little secret of digital cameras, but it does seem to be getting better with the newer models.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back