Digital SLR - Nikon D90 or Cannon Rebel

dozni82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone

I am trying to decide on my first serious camera and I would appreciate some opinions. I am looking to pick this up online at best buy as that seems to be the best price I can find.

I am looking for a professional camera which I can grow into. I would like to purchase something which has the capability to provide great photos for different situations. Additionally, I really only want to spend this kind of money on a Camera once (ie not often). So I need a camera in which plenty of accessories are offered.

My two choices Nikon D90 or the Cannon EOS Digital Rebel T1i 15.1.

My friend has the Cannon and it takes amazing photos. However I just want to be sure I wont outgrow the camera. Additionally when we are talking almost 900.00 the jump to the 1,100 Nikon seems like a good idea.

Please let me know what you think.

Nike

• Nikon 12.9-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera
  • DX Nikkor lens
  • Battery with charger
  • Eyepiece cap, rubber eyecup, LCD cover, accessory shoe cover, snap-on front lens cap and bayonet hood
  • USB and A/V cables, lens pouch and camera strap
  • Owner's manual

If you have not seen both cameras at the same time, maybe stop by Bestbuy or any other camera/retail stores and take a look. Try it out yourself.

Both cameras are capable of taking good pictures. Both are decently new in terms of technology. Some people like Canon, some others like Nikon. And of course, other brands such as Sony, Pentax and Olympus also have a lot of fans.

As you may already notice, buying the camera is only part of the process. A lot of people will spend more money on other stuff such as Lenses and lightning. A single good lens often cost more than the camera itself.

Some people will go with one brand because of the lens he want to use only available in one brand. But then again, those are usually experience users.

As for new DSLR user, I will say you will not go wrong with Canon nor Nikon, play around with the cameras and see which one you like. And trust me, if you are serious about photography, you will outgrow the camera. So be prepare to spend more ($_$)

D90!

Why?

Because I have one :lol:

You really do need to just 'feel' each one, that alone will probably tell you which one or at least which brand you like better.

I went with Nikon because it felt right in my hands and the controls were right... also, I love that I can plug a GPS into my D90 and instantly geotag my photos, it's not everyone's thing but I think it's pretty cool/useful.

D90 owns the T1i all day long.

My friend has the Cannon and it takes amazing photos. However I just want to be sure I wont outgrow the camera. Additionally when we are talking almost 900.00 the jump to the 1,100 Nikon seems like a good idea.

Correction, your friend takes amazing photos. I just don't want you getting the D90 and returning it because it's taking sub par photos. That would be operator error.

And if you want a camera you won't outgrow, get a used Canon 40D. Better than both of the above and they go for about $600 used.

Just curious, how is the 40D better than the D90? Other than build and shots per second the D90 has more to offer most people.

Last edited:
I have a D90 and im just beggining and its cool.

since you are looking around. just a suggestion, try searching in adorama or B&H for good deals. best buy i think is just expensive. look online, better prices. just make sure they are authorized sellers and check Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping for how reputable these stores are.

good luck :D sorry for the OT :D

i hope this thread doesn't get turned into a Canon vs. nikon where everyone is posting Pros and Cons just to out-do the other.

Hey everyone

I am trying to decide on my first serious camera and I would appreciate some opinions. I am looking to pick this up online at best buy as that seems to be the best price I can find.

I am looking for a professional camera which I can grow into. I would like to purchase something which has the capability to provide great photos for different situations. Additionally, I really only want to spend this kind of money on a Camera once (ie not often). So I need a camera in which plenty of accessories are offered.

My two choices Nikon D90 or the Cannon EOS Digital Rebel T1i 15.1.

Please let me know what you think.
Go to a camera shop and hold each camera in your hands...see how each one feels and then check out the controls, do they seem like they're placed in logical locations to you. Pick the brand that calls out to you...some people like how Nikon has the control layed out...some people like the way Canon has the controls layed out.

These are basically entry level DSLRs and will only take pictures as good as you are capable of taking. Great shots are taken by great photographers and mediocre shots are taken by mediocre photographers. The camera is just the tool that helps the photographer capture the shot he has envisioned.

If you're serious about photography and really want to get good at it, you've got a long road ahead of you as there is a lot to learn.

Just curious, how is the 40D better than the D90? Other than build and shots per second the D90 has more to offer most people.

It's a more solidly built camera and the extra FPS and fast AF are what matter over video capabilities when it comes to a camera. And the topper is that a used one in good shape will run about $600 thanks to Canon realeasing the 50D so soon.

what makes you say the 40D focuses faster than the D90?
not trying to start an argument but in my experience (using both side by side w/70-200 f/2.8) its the other way around.

i hope this thread doesn't get turned into a Canon vs. nikon where everyone is posting Pros and Cons just to out-do the other.

Kind of the point, isn't it? List the pros and cons (hopefully from people that actually use them).

I personally don't mind this sort of thing so long as there's facts to back up the statement.

For me the high ISO performance is way more important than an extra 2 frames per second, to someone else it might be the opposite - no harm no foul, just different priorities/needs.

Also, the build may be better on the 40D but the build on the D90 isn't cheap by any means - it still has a metal frame and very durable outer shell. No, it's not magnesium allow like it's bigger brother the D300 but it's not a tank around my neck either. :lol:

Again, different priorities... And you can't compare new prices of a D90 to used prices of a 40D, of course it's going to be cheaper. You can also get a used D200 with sturdy build and 6fps for less than a D90 but you'll lose the high ISO performance.

Kind of the point, isn't it? List the pros and cons (hopefully from people that actually use them).
lol ... i've seen some threads turn into "gang wars" cuz of the likes and dislikes of people and at the end the person who started up the thread is even more confused than before.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back