DIGITAL STUDIO LIGHTING

PMPHOTO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have 3 JTL Versalight 300 strobes that I have been using for portrait work with my 35mm Nikon. Can these lights be used if I get a Digital Camers??? Or do Digital cameras require special studio lights ??? I have been shooting weddings and portraits for years with 35mm. The times have now cought up. :(

Thanks for your help.
Fred
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Chris has what I believe to be the right answer, they should work just fine.

If you stick with Nikon then yes they should. If you go with another company then you should check the trigger voltage because if it's too high then it might fry your new DSLR.

Matters if they are battery powered flashes... and are the older ones and have a higher internal voltage... they could fry a camera. However, since in a studio, *NO* flash is placed on a camera, he's fine. :)

So... you BOTH were right, ok? :lol:

LOLOLOL Some people still use PC cables. They might not want 200V going through a 50D.

I'm not saying that's what would happen but I am trying to pass along a very useful bit of information about trigger voltages and digital cameras to someone who is new to them.

Like your needing to be careful what you hook up to a DSLR. ;)

Nikon is very good with backwards compatibility. You'll be able to use your old lenses as well as flashes. Which camera bodies are you looking at?

Most all new DSLR's handle trigger voltages up to 250v.

Some will only handle trigger voltages of up to 5v (Canon seems to be the worst at this according to my research). Supposedly some of the Nikon models can handle up to 250v but I wouldn't trust my camera to it without direct confirmation from Nikon.

Some will only handle trigger voltages of up to 5v (Canon seems to be the worst at this according to my research). Supposedly some of the Nikon models can handle up to 250v but I wouldn't trust my camera to it without direct confirmation from Nikon.

It actually says in the Nikon manuals that they can handle up to 250v at the sync port. Just look up any PDF and go to the flash section.

There was a blog some where with a response from Canon customer service that stated the same thing.

You shouldn't have any problems with your strobes using a Nikon. I would suggest you think about white balance when you're shooting though- It'll make your life much easier in your post processing. I personally like the Expodisc for this, but there are those who also use a coffee filter. To each his own. The Expodisc is calibrated to a high level of known percision though, which is why I use it. I have written an article about digital lighting and the expodisc. The links are as follows:

Lighting How-to:
http://www.popphoto.com/lighting/3707/four-light-portrait-how-to.html

Expodisc:
http://www.popphoto.com/cameraaccessories/3876/field-test-expodisc.html

One could also just simply use a piece of pure white paper and adjust after chimping 1-2 times. Another way is that an average caucasian hand is 1-1.5 stops off, and a hand is a lot harder to lose than a expodisc. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back