Digital technology ruined photography for me, or did people ruin it? (or both)

Status
Not open for further replies.

erotavlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Digital photography's pervasiveness in our society has become a double edged sword. On the one hand it has opened up the opportunity for everyone to take photo's with greater ease, in many more circumstances that would have seemed impossible during the film era. It's amazing that you can carry a tiny camera attached to a phone in your pocket, and take a snapshot at any time. It is also cheaper to take photo's (that is if you don't give in to the endless GAS manufacturers expect from consumers)

But no matter how great these benefits are, modern digital technology has turned photographs into just another consumable like everything else in our modern society. And because of this change photography has lost its 'charm' for me, they are no longer special. There are two ways this has happened

1 - We need to take MORE photos!!!

People are trying to capture more and more. Not stopping to think about the scene or what it means. They just need to capture and store away as much as they can on their computer memory., bypassing the need for their minds to even acknowledge the scene they just witnessed. In doing so we are detaching ourselves from that moment, treating the world like it is something not to be admired, but as something that needs to be exploited.

As an example I see it time and time again at the most popular national parks. Thousands of tourists arriving in droves forgetting to admire the beauty and why they came, instead they insist on carrying a camera everywhere they go and focus solely on capturing some images that will sit in their computer memory only to be lost amongst the countless other images and quickly forgotten.

Family photos have followed a similar pattern. At family gatherings everyone is well prepared like the paparazzi to take the latest photo of some impromptu moment. It's almost not enjoyable anymore, like we aren't enjoying the time together, always focused on taking those photos. With so many people carrying their smartphones, it seems redundant and even pointless to participate. Why bother snapping a photo when someone else already did? Just get a copy from them.

2 - You think that's unique?? HA! Look at THIS!!

More amateurs are creating images that rival those of the best professionals. No longer is it possible to create something so unique that can't be recreated by anyone with the motivation, time and money to do so.

People are now trying so hard to distinguish themselves from the rest creating crazier and crazier photos, in the most unusual scenes. No matter how hard people try it is underwhelming at most because just around the corner is someone else who can create something even more unique, beyond what was already done. And the speed at which this is happening is increasing. Consumer electronic equipment of the most sophisticated kind has dropped in price immensely, putting it in the reach of the average person. Enabling them to compete with the best. It almost reminds me of people trying to purchase more expensive cars, bigger homes, expensive clothes just to keep up with or compete with family friends and neighbours. People post away on photo sharing sites, not to share, but to impress. Look at me, the amazingly special and unique photo I created!

Now every time I carry my camera and I think I want to take a photo I always have these thoughts in the back of my head. Am I about to do the exact same thing that I hate to see other people do? Am i just a consumer of photos? Or am I truly taking an image that means something to me? Is this image I am going to take help me to convey some information, emotion or beauty that I want to convey to other people?

Maybe it's not so much digital technology by itself that has changed things so much, I think it has also been the shift to a consumer society that has changed peoples thinking. More isn't always necessarily better. And that applies to intangible things like photos as it does to material possessions.

Last edited:
Digital ruined it for my soon-to-be-ex-wife. She hasn't shot in 10 years or more. Me, I just enjoy it. Laid-back enthusiast.

Sorry you feel that way. I'll bet many people felt the same way about the Brownie box cameras and every other aid to the public at large taking their own photos.

You're not the first to notice this.

Ecclesiastes 1

Everything Is Meaningless
1 The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:

2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”

3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

Digital photography's pervasiveness in our society has become a double edged sword. On the one hand it has opened up the opportunity for everyone to take photo's with greater ease, in many more circumstances that would have seemed impossible during the film era. It's amazing that you can carry a tiny camera attached to a phone in your pocket, and take a snapshot at any time. It is also cheaper to take photo's (that is if you don't give in to the endless GAS manufacturers expect from consumers)

But no matter how great these benefits are, modern digital technology has turned photographs into just another consumable like everything else in our modern society. And because of this change photography has lost its 'charm' for me, they are no longer special. There are two ways this has happened

1 - We need to take MORE photos!!!

People are trying to capture more and more. Not stopping to think about the scene or what it means. They just need to capture and store away as much as they can on their computer memory., bypassing the need for their minds to even acknowledge the scene they just witnessed. In doing so we are detaching ourselves from that moment, treating the world like it is something not to be admired, but as something that needs to be exploited.

As an example I see it time and time again at the most popular national parks. Thousands of tourists arriving in droves forgetting to admire the beauty and why they came, instead they insist on carrying a camera everywhere they go and focus solely on capturing some images that will sit in their computer memory only to be lost amongst the countless other images and quickly forgotten.

Family photos have followed a similar pattern. At family gatherings everyone is well prepared like the paparazzi to take the latest photo of some impromptu moment. It's almost not enjoyable anymore, like we aren't enjoying the time together, always focused on taking those photos. With so many people carrying their smartphones, it seems redundant and even pointless to participate. Why bother snapping a photo when someone else already did? Just get a copy from them.

2 - You think that's unique?? HA! Look at THIS!!

More amateurs are creating images that rival those of the best professionals. No longer is it possible to create something so unique that can't be recreated by anyone with the motivation, time and money to do so.

People are now trying so hard to distinguish themselves from the rest creating crazier and crazier photos, in the most unusual scenes. No matter how hard people try it is underwhelming at most because just around the corner is someone else who can create something even more unique, beyond what was already done. And the speed at which this is happening is increasing. Consumer electronic equipment of the most sophisticated kind has dropped in price immensely, putting it in the reach of the average person. Enabling them to compete with the best. It almost reminds me of people trying to purchase more expensive cars, bigger homes, expensive clothes just to keep up with or compete with family friends and neighbours. People post away on photo sharing sites, not to share, but to impress. Look at me, the amazingly special and unique photo I created!

Now every time I carry my camera and I think I want to take a photo I always have these thoughts in the back of my head. Am I about to do the exact same thing that I hate to see other people do? Am i just a consumer of photos? Or am I truly taking an image that means something to me? Is this image I am going to take help me to convey some information, emotion or beauty that I want to convey to other people?

Maybe it's not so much digital technology by itself that has changed things so much, I think it has also been the shift to a consumer society that has changed peoples thinking. More isn't always necessarily better. And that applies to intangible things like photos as it does to material possessions.
http://www.newsweek.com/photography-dead-94541

Sounds to me like you ruined it for yourself by shifting your attention away from your own creativity and your own enlightenment through your own photographic efforts and your own results, and focusing instead on what other people are doing.

So what if a million other people take a million shots of that waterfall or tree or landscape? So what if they're looking through their viewfinders more than you think they should? So what if everyone in the family is wearing a cell phone that can take photos? So what if there are literally millions of snapshots that aren't worth anything to anyone but those amateurs who shot them? Why should any of that stop you from enjoying your own photography? And what makes you think they shouldn't enjoy themselves with that stuff any way they want to? Who are you to say they shouldn't? Who died and made you king of what people should and shouldn't do?

Your problem seems to be that you want to be the "special one" by being the only one who can take the photos, and now you're not the "special one" anymore because everyone can do it, and you can't figure out how to make yours stand out from the others as "special" anymore.

In short, it looks to me like your own jealousy over the fact that others can now take pictures at will is what ruined photography for you, and that's on you alone.

If you can't figure out a way to muster better than the snapshot quality coming out of the vast majority of those millions of amateurs shooting millions of shots with millions of phones, maybe you should just find a new hobby that nobody else is doing so that you don't have the competition messing with you anymore. Maybe basket-weaving or pottery or chainsaw tree sculptures or some other hand-crafted type of thing like that is a better fit for your mentality.

Last edited:
But Buckster, photography has changed. It's all very well to say that you should just ignore that, and focus on your own thing, and maybe that works for you. But that is to deny that photography as an aspect of our culture had changed.

While we're printing more than ever, the print is no longer primary (which suggests a path to the OP by the way). This is just one of several fundamental changes in how photography fits in to our culture. You may be able to ignore the fact that your friends and family and coworkers and indeed everyone you know now sees photography in a way that is profoundly different from the way they saw it ten, twenty, years ago.

Not all of us can.

But Buckster, photography has changed. It's all very well to say that you should just ignore that, and focus on your own thing, and maybe that works for you. But that is to deny that photography as an aspect of our culture had changed.

While we're printing more than ever, the print is no longer primary (which suggests a path to the OP by the way). This is just one of several fundamental changes in how photography fits in to our culture. You may be able to ignore the fact that your friends and family and coworkers and indeed everyone you know now sees photography in a way that is profoundly different from the way they saw it ten, twenty, years ago.

Not all of us can.
For me, it's pretty simple: Ask what it is that YOU PERSONALLY got out of photography that YOU PERSONALLY don't get out of photography anymore.

From 1969 on, photography for ME has been a PERSONAL journey of learning to accomplish photographic goals and then achieving them. I never cared that I wasn't the first, nor the only person doing it, because my PERSONAL journey and enlightenment and goals and achievements and satisfaction were about my own self-fulfillment, not a competition with others nor a way to be unique from others.

I'm still very much on that journey, and continue to be enlightened and satisfied with my own efforts in that regard.

I don't depend on other people to make me happy, nor do I allow what they do to make me unhappy when what they do doesn't directly affect me.

And that is a fine strategy which works well for you. Good on ya!

Hear, hear!^ Crap! This was supposed to follow Buckster's post.

Oookay then.
I agree with buckster and the o.p. As far as I can tell neither of their statements really conflicted. The o.p stated many truths far as I am concerned. Buckster pretty much responded for the o.p to concern himself with himself.

Good discussion. If photography really is dying because of the digital revolution, then social media is the nail in the coffin. In reality, it is only a bad thing for pros and semi-pros. Amateurs are lured in by the attention they can get from things like facebook and most of them have no problem stealing and copying ideas and locations. Also, the public is mostly to blame. Photography's "audience" is largely ignorant. For example, I have a following of about 8000 on facebook. I can post my best macro photo, artistic and technically difficult, and it will get a terrible response. If I post a crooked OOF shot of a rainbow, I suddenly become a genius. I resist the urge to pander to that crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back