Why no one cares about your Photography - Sean Tucker

I would agree with you on the general galleries. If you post there you're subject to critique whether you want it or not. There's no effort required on the part of the one posting, consequently there's little effort required by those posting replies. The C&C gallery is a place where you go for specific critique and answers to questions on your image. It's a place of learning, which requires the one posting to first critique their image, and the ones posting replies have to put forth effort. That's why we look for specific questions from the OP, so their questions may be addressed without a lot of rambling useless comments.
The only questions I would have is what do you think of my picture and how would you improve it. Those questions frankly are understood to be asked on a photo critique thread.

I agree that this could be a good way to go about asking if it is an amazingly shot, composed image that easily conveys a message however anything less than that may lead to someone writing a very long critique and the original poster feeling as if the image is garbage.

It also doesn't demonstrates that the poster hasn't even taken the time to take a good look at the image and determine what they think is good or what needs improvement.
If this information is provided then the person trying to help can just agree or disagree on these points while focussing on aspects the OP may or may not even realize could be improved.

The only questions I would have is what do you think of my picture and how would you improve it. Those questions frankly are understood to be asked on a photo critique thread.

Again TPF has provided multiple general galleries where this is acceptable and encouraged. The C&C gallery is the only one in the forum different, because it serves a different purpose.

@cgw "likes" are like an addictive drug, the more you get the more you adapt your shooting so you get more "likes". Before you know it you aren't shooting for yourself anymore.

The OP should realize that Vivian Maier didn't require constant adulation to keep shooting. Being in it for "likes" alone is kinda sad...
Not sure what generation you're from but some generations grew up on social gratification. From what I've seen it can be just as addicting as any drug and can be just as hard to kick.

I know @nerwin is more than capable of overcoming this, he just may need a little understanding of those around him to accomplish it.

@nerwin keep doing what makes you "healthily happy". Whether or not photography or social media fits into the mix is irrelevant however if we get to continue to see your images that is also great.

@cgw "likes" are like an addictive drug, the more you get the more you adapt your shooting so you get more "likes". Before you know it you aren't shooting for yourself anymore.
This is probably what happened to me more or less. I got hooked on the likes and eventually adapted my shooting to what was trendy and popular on Instagram. Now that I'm not on Instagram, I feel absolutely lost with my work. I don't have a clue what to photograph anymore and it's been a real struggle to even find the motivation to shoot even though I try to go out with the camera but my mind is just blank. Whether or not I move on from photography and find something else, its going to take me a good while to "rewire" my vision and brain I guess.
Not sure what generation you're from but some generations grew up on social gratification. From what I've seen it can be just as addicting as any drug and can be just as hard to kick.

I know @nerwin is more than capable of overcoming this, he just may need a little understanding of those around him to accomplish it.

@nerwin keep doing what makes you "healthily happy". Whether or not photography or social media fits into the mix is irrelevant however if we get to continue to see your images that is also great.

I'm a millennial so I grew up in that weird time period when computers and internet were starting to take off but I still remember days without even knowing the internet existed and had to spend time outside. But we were the ones that were introduced into social media too early on.

Photography is something that I've used to enjoy and now after basically throwing my entire 20s to social media...I mean I pretty much lived on social media. All my friends were online, I never had any in person and now that I'm in my 30s, I feel pretty bad about that. I never even thought twice about it.

Now when I share photographs I get frustrated by the metrics/likes and the funny thing is, they are often photos that I took just because I want the validation. But the thing is, photography is just a hobby. Its not like I'm doing it for business or professionally. It's supposed to be fun, it shouldn't stress me out and I been trying my best to focus on that the most. But I also realized that I shouldn't make photography my absolutely ONLY hobby. Having multiple hobbies would probably benefit my enjoyment in photography. Of course it's also winter and always get seasonal depression which often puts a damper on my creativity and motivation with photography. I am trying my hardest to work through not having social media and taking photos anyways. I'm hoping with time I won't care about likes, but I don't know.

All photography is based on the single opinion of the photographer. Originality, creativity, processing and output all come from the core of the creator. This makes every shutter activation the start of a journey to a photograph that is totally unique and precious to that photographer. Every single photographer in the world is unique and will not like the same pics.

What do you get when 3 photographers judge a picture................ 4 OPINIONS!!!

I have recently got the time to dedicate a lot of time to photography (and this forum) and I am loving every minute of it. I am enjoying it so much I got an Instagram account. 7 people who dont know me liked my photographs and I am tickled pink. I will evolve as a photographer but I will never chase likes.

I am in my 60's and I am learning something new every day. Being from an Engineering background I have been tied to process and procedure for most of my life. To me photography is freedom.

All a matter of perspective.

CHEERS
JBO
What's your Instagram account?

This is a good thread.

I have an Instagram account. It's my only social media account. I used to upload onto Flickr, but I find Instagram so much easier to use. Do I really care how many "Likes" I get. Not really. For me, I use it as a tool to help me critique my own shots - to go through a days worth of shots on a solo photo walk, for example, and post what I think are my ten best. If no one cares, neither do I - I just like the fact it pushes me to critique myself. When I get actual feedback, it's a plus. When a "real" photographer begins to follow me, that's also a plus.

I don't have the money for a Leica. I use free, or cheap old digicams with CCD sensors, and old film cameras. I like the challenge of using these old dogs to practice composition, framing, et al. Sometimes I surprise myself. Sometimes I find the cameras I use are not enough for what I want to achieve and accomplish, on a photo walk (a Nikon D40/50/70 is on my radar, these days!) But when I get a good shot from an old, cheap 35mm point and shoot, or an old CCD digicam I got for free online, it's a personal victory. Those what I post and "share", via Instagram.

It's personal for me. I like to ramble. Be outdoors. I like streetphotography, I like the visual and audible noise of the street. I love to hike, and bring a camera there, too, but it sometimes gets in the way. It never does, on the streets.

Do it because you like doing it. As one poster said above, Vivian Maier did it for herself. She never would have thought so many of us would see - and love - her work!

I always equate it to what is the best beer.

Those who like the same beer you do think it is a good beer. Those who like another brand may think your is okay. And yes, a few will tell you that your horse has diabetes.

There is no reason to expect others will like your work. You can increase your odds by shooting photos of puppies, kittens, cute kids or other subject with almost universal appeal. There is a reason attractive actors and models are used to sell products.

In addition, your photographs have to not only be good, but very good. Or, you could try to be unique enough to attract a cult following.

There's an old saying "Even a blind pig finds an acorn in the woods every now and then". When you first start your journey you are the pig, and that acorn is the image that just happens. Then you spend the next few years with the mind controlling the process, striving to duplicate that special image. Unfortunately we try so hard that our mind can't register what the eye sees. Eventuality you get discourage and stop trying so hard. Your mind stops controlling the process, and you start finding acorns again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back