Digital_Matt ? about Raw

Holly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You keep tellilng me to go for RAW.. Question I have today is......

IF you shoot in RAW and edit save your image as JPEG .. will it lose any of the extra color or anything that a JPEG doesnt hold when shooting in in JPEG mode?

Thanks

Yes, when you save as JPEG, you lose information. If you open it up and save it as JPEG again...you lose more information.

This is why a lot of people save as a 'lossless' image format like TIFF or PSD.

You should save you image as a JPEG as a final output....like if you are saving a downsized version for uploading to the web...or if you are sending the image out for printing.

When it comes down to it...you would probably not notice the loss of data when you save the image as a JPEG. You could probably re-save it several times before the lose started to become apparent by looking at the image. However, it makes sense to keep as much info in the file as possible...until you need to have it in JPEG format.

Thanks Mike.. If Im not going to lose much by saving it as a Jpeg then Ill give it a try and post my outcome here :)

Big Mike said:
Yes, when you save as JPEG, you lose information. If you open it up and save it as JPEG again...you lose more information.

This is why a lot of people save as a 'lossless' image format like TIFF or PSD.

You should save you image as a JPEG as a final output....like if you are saving a downsized version for uploading to the web...or if you are sending the image out for printing.

When it comes down to it...you would probably not notice the loss of data when you save the image as a JPEG. You could probably re-save it several times before the lose started to become apparent by looking at the image. However, it makes sense to keep as much info in the file as possible...until you need to have it in JPEG format.

if you lose information every time you resave in jpg, then why do i start with a 2.5MB picture, edit it, and then save it and wind up with a 5MB+ picture? i would think if information was lost, the file size would be smaller.

John_05 said:
if you lose information every time you resave in jpg, then why do i start with a 2.5MB picture, edit it, and then save it and wind up with a 5MB+ picture? i would think if information was lost, the file size would be smaller.

Could this be it? ;)

Big Mike said:
Could this be it? ;)

i figured that out after i replied, but i went and tried something anyways. i opened a pic up, made 1 edit, undid it and then saved it again. the original file unedited was 3.32MB, and after i saved it, it said it was still 3.32MB.

i swear my curiosity is getting the better of me today. i just opened another image, and just resaved it. i didnt do any edits to it at all, and it went from 1.87MB, to 3.93MB. i fgured i would see what happens, so i reopened the same image, resaved it again, and now its 4.60MB?

now im really curious as to why this happens. does anyone know what info it is adding if im not doing anything to the picture?

John_05 said:
i swear my curiosity is getting the better of me today. i just opened another image, and just resaved it. i didnt do any edits to it at all, and it went from 1.87MB, to 3.93MB. i fgured i would see what happens, so i reopened the same image, resaved it again, and now its 4.60MB?

now im really curious as to why this happens. does anyone know what info it is adding if im not doing anything to the picture?
It's called "Using Photoshop". Photoshop's JPEGs are ridiculously bloated across the board relative to other programs which (presumably) discard much more information.

Tiberius said:
It's called "Using Photoshop". Photoshop's JPEGs are ridiculously bloated across the board relative to other programs which (presumably) discard much more information.

in my case, it cant be called "using PhotoShop", because i mainly use Corel PaintShop Pro X. i havent used PhotoShop for much of anything other then trying panoramics. ive used PaintShop Pro for a long time, so im alot more familiar with it, and for me its alot easier to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back