Dilemma with Canon t3i/600D

lenavevo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! Here's my issue:

I've had the canon 600D for about four years now, but recently it took some water and won't turn on. I have the kit 18-135mm that I barely use, a 50mm (the cheapest one) and a 35-80 mm from my dads film camera

Although it's been four years I still have a lot of room for improvement. I think I do decent pictures but I'm also starting to get into videography and my skills are extremely basic. I still have a lot to learn on this body; I wanted to buy an actual tripod (and not a knockoff gorilla pod like what I have) a mic and possibly an external flash. My plans are kinda cut short by this accident. So now I'm faced with a dilemma:
I could either pay to get it repaired (if it even can be), or I could buy the same body again, or I could upgrade.
I'd like to keep my expenses below 500€
If I did upgrade, I don't know which way I could go. I don't know if the 650/700D would be that much of an upgrade, especially since I'm not fond of the touch screen, of if it's the best I can hope, given my budget constraint

A quick google search tells me I could get a secondhand 60D for less than 400€. I don't know how realistic that is, or even what I would use it for

I'm into portraits, architecture and street photography.

So there you go! I think I gave all the information needed!
What do you think I should do?

I'm not sure a four year old camera is worth fixing with water damage. Personally I wouldn't go this route.

You have a few lenses, not loads invested but it would be worth staying with canon. The 60d is a nice camera, but at 400 it is also quite old. What I mean by this isn't quality of photos is old, but you could buy one and it only last a year.

I'd (if I were you) buy the best new canon I could afford. The newer 650/700d and later models also have better focus systems than your model. If you could stretch a little more and get the even newer 24mp models the sensor is also an improvement.(750d)

Take the battery out of the camera, take the lens off and put the body somewhere nice and warm for a week or so (airing cupboard if you have one). Once it is fully dry, it could well start working again. I have done this successfully with a variety of electronic items.

I'm not sure a four year old camera is worth fixing with water damage. Personally I wouldn't go this route.

You have a few lenses, not loads invested but it would be worth staying with canon. The 60d is a nice camera, but at 400 it is also quite old. What I mean by this isn't quality of photos is old, but you could buy one and it only last a year.

I'd (if I were you) buy the best new canon I could afford. The newer 650/700d and later models also have better focus systems than your model. If you could stretch a little more and get the even newer 24mp models the sensor is also an improvement.(750d)

Thank you for the advice!

I'm gonna start looking at tests comparing the newer entry level models. I'm definitely staying with canon, it's just more convenient.

Take the battery out of the camera, take the lens off and put the body somewhere nice and warm for a week or so (airing cupboard if you have one). Once it is fully dry, it could well start working again. I have done this successfully with a variety of electronic items.

I thought about the rice method for a while but there was no way to do that without making it worse :p
I haven't even turned the heating on yet, but it might work.
Thank you, I'm trying that!

Most reactions

Back