Ding! Ding! Ding! We Have a Winner!

What a great real life story, thanks for sharing, it's the stuff dreams are made from.

1400 tiny gongs?? That sounds lime a lot of work... Congrats!
I just read this whole thread, I never cease to be impressed by your amazing talent, Bitter.

Aww...thanks yerlem.

I am getting estimates to "farm it out", which means I make the original and send it elsewhere to be produced én mass. That way, I don't have to touch them. :sexywink:

Which is cool, because I never had contacts to do that, and now I do. Networking FTW!

Well, I was told by several people, that a bell is struck from the inside, and a gong is struck from the outside. This gong has no clapper, and they strike it with a mallet from the outside. So, it's a gong. :sexywink:

Incidentally, I was just asked about making 1400 little 3inch versions for party favors, for their 100th anniversary banquet.
Wheeeeeeeee!

This is very cool. Good going!

Not that it matters much because you are not going to tell your customer his gong is not a gong but I love learning so I went and asked Google if there is any such thing as a bell with no clapper and it gave me this: The Korean Bell of Friendship and Bell Pavilion, Angels Gate Park, San Pedro (see the caption under the photo on the right.)

So then I went and looked up Merriam-Webster for the definition of the gong:
Gong - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

and for the definition of the bell:
Bell - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Dude, that blows...

On a semi-related note, have you thought about contacting anybody from the paper to highlight your work? For instance, the thread you made about building the ring was very interesting and very popular. It couldn't be that extensive, but I imagine a story like that could be ran in the lifestyle section.

In this case, a 'How it was made' story for Ted Turner's award would make great copy and it shouldn't be that hard to convince somebody at the paper, as well as somebody at your local news station.

Unless there is something in your contract prohibiting it, if I were you, Monday morning I would start making some phone calls to see if anybody is interested in the story.

^THIS is a great idea.

One of our local TV stations has a segment they do called "HomeGrown" where they highlight famous, semi-famous, and "you never heard of them but they were somehow attached to someone famous" people who are from this area. They've done stories on Dolly Parton, Kenny Chesney and David Keith of course, but also more obscure and interesting people who connected with someone famous in a less obvious way. Recently, they did a story on the band KISS and their lawyer, who is a local guy (they are evidently getting desperate now, lol!).

Seems to me like this story would play very well on local TV or in the newspaper!

That's great! I like learning too.

What you will find really funny, is one of the people who gave me my information, worked for Webster's in my building. LOL
As a side note, they moved down the street, and my shop is now in part of their old space.

I will no longer call it a gong. :thumbup:

Dude, that blows...

On a semi-related note, have you thought about contacting anybody from the paper to highlight your work? For instance, the thread you made about building the ring was very interesting and very popular. It couldn't be that extensive, but I imagine a story like that could be ran in the lifestyle section.

In this case, a 'How it was made' story for Ted Turner's award would make great copy and it shouldn't be that hard to convince somebody at the paper, as well as somebody at your local news station.

Unless there is something in your contract prohibiting it, if I were you, Monday morning I would start making some phone calls to see if anybody is interested in the story.

^THIS is a great idea.

One of our local TV stations has a segment they do called "HomeGrown" where they highlight famous, semi-famous, and "you never heard of them but they were somehow attached to someone famous" people who are from this area. They've done stories on Dolly Parton, Kenny Chesney and David Keith of course, but also more obscure and interesting people who connected with someone famous in a less obvious way. Recently, they did a story on the band KISS and their lawyer, who is a local guy (they are evidently getting desperate now, lol!).

Seems to me like this story would play very well on local TV or in the newspaper!
I am not great at selling myself, and would find it very awkward to call the newspaper and suggest they do a story on me. ;)

Dude, that blows...

^THIS is a great idea.

I am not great at selling myself, and would find it very awkward to call the newspaper and suggest they do a story on me. ;)

Hmmm...and how would you feel about answering the phone and telling them the story, after they get "wind" of it from an "online source?" ;)

That would be fine, but I think it's a little late now, and not topical?

Bitter Jeweler said:

But I'm sure your local paper have an art section. If not, there should be other publications where you can make yourself known.

That would be fine, but I think it's a little late now, and not topical?

I think it could be quite timely, with the new development of making a boatload of little baby gong/bells for the 10th Anniversary celebration. When is the anniversary celebration? Is it this year? If so, the whole story could tie together very nicely.

Most reactions

Back