Dinosaur and horses under stars, part 2

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know they aren't up to par with a lot of you but I was having fun learning and trying.
To post it says file is too large, so am just making it 90%. ??
Of course any comments are welcome on my 'education'.

DSC_4060.JPG

DSC_3942.JPG

Keep shooting! I like them. In the first one it looks like the dinosaur is gaping in awe at the stars.

Such a cool place! Did you light them yourself or are they lit up?

Lit them myself and finding light painting consistency pretty tricky!
1 was the red light off my headlamp and the other has the white light just barely flashing across areas.

Lit them myself and finding light painting consistency pretty tricky!
1 was the red light off my headlamp and the other has the white light just barely flashing across areas.

I haven’t tried light painting but it looks interesting. I like the red.

The second one is a little dark but it's still kind of cool! It looks almost redscale (in a good way).

For light painting try looking for Dave Black photography (I think that's basically his website name). I know of him for sports photography (Olympics, Ky. Derby, etc.) and went to a workshop he did years ago at the NCAA headquarters. I know he does light painting too. On his site he has a Workshop on/at the Ranch feature and I've seen him discuss light painting there.

I really like the perspective on the first one. It looks like it's trying to swallow the stars!

Very few perfect pictures make it on here so don't worry about that, you're right at home. #1 is my favorite, good job.

Very few perfect pictures make it on here so don't worry about that, you're right at home. #1 is my favorite, good job.

Thank you K9Kirk, that's sweet.
I have been in personal turmoil for a few years now. Just getting out to take photos, is a big step.

1st is really good! Its hard to get both stars and a foreground like that in decent focus. The second looks to me like you might have had tripod movement or something shake the camera.

Do you have an off camera speedlight? I have done some light painting and found that using a speedlight in hand can give more predictable results than a flashlight. still lots of trial and error and practice.

1st is really good! Its hard to get both stars and a foreground like that in decent focus. The second looks to me like you might have had tripod movement or something shake the camera.

Do you have an off camera speedlight? I have done some light painting and found that using a speedlight in hand can give more predictable results than a flashlight. still lots of trial and error and practice.

Thank you. 2nd one was @ 20 seconds and altho a good tripod, there was some wind.
I do not have any other lighting besides flash light. May have to think about something to help with night shots.

The best flashlights are the ones where you can focus the beam to a pinpoint to avoid light spilling onto unwanted areas

Most reactions

Back