imagesliveon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.imagesliveon.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Grrrrrrrr,

I'm currently being plagued by a dirty sensor on my 5D2! EVERYTIME I use the camera there's a new mark on the photos.

I'm toying with the idea of getting the sensor cleaned professionally cleaned, however it's what I would consider a lot of cash to clean a small area.

Maybe by the fact I'm asking myself about cleaning the sensor suggests I should pay someone to do it. Do the just clean the sensor??

What do you guys do??

Kind Regards

Simon

Have you tried cleaning it yourself? It's not too complicated.

Grrrrrrrr,

I'm currently being plagued by a dirty sensor on my 5D2! EVERYTIME I use the camera there's a new mark on the photos.

I'm toying with the idea of getting the sensor cleaned professionally cleaned, however it's what I would consider a lot of cash to clean a small area.

Maybe by the fact I'm asking myself about cleaning the sensor suggests I should pay someone to do it. Do the just clean the sensor??

What do you guys do??

Kind Regards

Simon

Just lift the mirror up and blow into it. Wipe with paper towel if needed.

Cleaning ANY kind of optics with a paper towel is not a good idea. Paper fibers are hard enough to scratch some types of glass. Ask any optician if you don't believe me.

I havent tried to clean it..

I have some nice lens cleaning cloths... Are these safe to use?

Regards and thanks for the responses...

Oh the wife also bought me a blower brush..

Right you are! My eye doctor told me to "never clean my glasses with anything that came from a tree."

I wouldn't use them. They sell kits with the right stuff (which is swab, I think) but start out with a blower

Sw1tchFX said:

And check the oil level and the antifreeze level too, I mean, ya' know, while you're under the hood!!

Have you done any research on how to properly clean a sensor?

The important part is that you are careful. The sensor itself is covered by a filter, and that is what you are cleaning, but the shutter and the mirror are sensitive mechanical parts, so be careful not to damage them. (the are locked out of the way when you activate the cleaning mode).
Another important thing, is that you don't introduce more contaminants than you clean.

The first thing to try, is to blow the dust out. The best tool is a 'rocket type' blower bulb. It sucks air from the bottom (preferably with a filter) and blows it out the top. Activate the cleaning mode, hold the open camera upside down and gently puff some air into it to dislodge the dust.

If that doesn't get the dust/spots out, then you may need a physical cleaning. The best tool would be a sensor brush. Check out Visible Dust and their line of 'Arctic Butterfly' brushes. They spin to build up static electricity which attracts and grabs the dust. They are expensive but reusable.

If that still doesn't get the debris off the sensor, you may need a wet cleaning. For this, you need sensor swabs and cleaning fluid (kits are easy to find on-line or at most camera shops). Follow the directions....which is usually; open the swab, use one drop of fluid on the swab and wipe the sensor in one direction, flip the swab and wipe in the other direction.

Do not use pressurized and/or caned air. Do not use a cloth or brush that is likely covered in dust.

Thanks Mike,

In the kit my Mrs bought me is a blower Brush, some swabs (cotton buds) and an alcohol based solution... Is that stuff suitable?

Regards

I took your advice and very gently lifted the mirror, there was a massive hair underneath it which I very carefully removed!!

Thanks very much for your advice.. And the video guys!

All sorted now!

Regards

ONly use items designed for cleaning sensors to clean your sensor.... other wise it could go bad.

But my other normal cleaning advice for sensors is........ take the lens off, use mirror lock up, and top rack of the dishwasher on pot scrubber mode. :confused:

Cleaning ANY kind of optics with a paper towel is not a good idea. Paper fibers are hard enough to scratch some types of glass. Ask any optician if you don't believe me.
Boy, I bet you're just a riot at parties..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back