Distortion Issues

ORourkeK

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I LOVE my Nikkor 105mm 1.4. With that said, I am TERRIBLE at controlling the amount of lens distortion I am getting. I have read a ton of information but I do not retain the knowledge very well when it comes to this topic. Any suggestions? The first image is an example of the distortion I would like to avoid. The second two were shot with the same aperture (f/2.0) and shutter speed (1/500th).

PS: My boys are IMPOSSIBLE to take pictures of. My 5 y/o told me "I don't know where the camera is" when I asked him repeatedly to look at the camera. ;(

32650348197_e69ec62946_c.jpg

47539958772_d4034a520a_c.jpg

46868917034_b71d02e0e4_c.jpg

What kind of distortion do you mean? Most software automatically correct lens distortion. These look good, with that 3d look you get with great subject seperation.

In the first one, I feel like the trees look like they are starting to spin. Particularly in the top left of the image.

What you are referring to is what's commonly called "Bokeh" a Japanese term which has come to mean the way in which a particular lens renders the unfocused portions of an image. This particular lens has less than ideal bokeh in my opinion. Unfortunately, there's little you can do; it's a factor almost exclusively determined by the physical design characteristics of the lens. You may be able to change it somewhat by varying the aperture or your lens to background distance, but that's about it.

The size, shape and number of blades in the aperture, along with the focal length of the lens are the main components which determine the appearance of bokeh. Some lenses, such as the Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AF-D are noted for their wonderful bokeh rendering, often referred to as "creamy" for the way in which things seem to melt together. This lens has what I would call "nervous" or "jittery" bokeh. Sounds like you just found that excuse you were looking for to buy new glass!

I always see people talk about the different characteristics of a lens's bokeh but never really understood it. I love most of the shots I get with the 105mm, however, some are just absolutely ridiculous. I guess I just have to do a better job at adjusting the aperture. Is it the focal distance of the 105mm that does this? I remember shooting with a 70-200m and the amount of blur I could get at 200mm was absurd. But if that is the case, why are most of the images smooth and soft, while others look like I moved the picture before the paint dried? Is it the DOF? The further my subject is from the background the more likely this is to happen? Although, now that I write this, I remember I took pictures where the subject was a football field away from the background and this didn't happen... I assume the only thing I can do it check after the shot to make sure it is ok. The only issue here is that I have a hard time noticing this on camera. Especially when trying to chase these two around without missing an opportunity.

I agree with the other comments on bokeh, DOF and perspective, but want to add your camera might be able to help a little. My cameras have a Pv button or Preview button. It closes down the aperture while you are looking through the viewfinder so you can see what's in focus and how the background looks. It is of limited use because what you see gets darker depending on how bright it is and your aperture setting. Another thing to look at is Live View, which allows you see what your adjustments look like before you take the shot.

I'm lost. Are we discussing distortion, DOF or bokeh?

offer: I will PM you my shipping address and will PayPal you $50. You can send me that awful, distortion-prone 1051.4, and I will send you my 1983 105mm/2.5 Ai-S. Deal or no deal?

offer: I will PM you my shipping address and will PayPal you $50. You can send me that awful, distortion-prone 1051.4, and I will send you my 1983 105mm/2.5 Ai-S. Deal or no deal?

Deal.

In fact, I'll sweeten the deal for you. I will send you ALL my 105/1.4's for ALL of your 105/2.8's.

I think we agreed what the op is seeing is not distortion, but bokeh. Bokeh is a characteristic of the lens. Lens designers are lauded for their lens ability to provide a pleasing bokeh, especially for portraits lenses. Bokeh is the effect seen when the lens "blurs" the background. If DOF is deep (small aperture, longer focal length or short distance from the background) the background may not be blurred or slightly blurred and bokeh will not be evident. If the DOF is shallow (wide open aperture, short focal length, camera close to subject, background a little further back) then the background will be blurred and bokeh may be evident. So, DOF, focal length, distance to subject and background, aperture, and the lens itself are all factors in bokeh. Distortion, which usually means geometric distortion is not.

Shallow depth of field, selective focus, and bokeh...three sides of a triangle...distortion usually refers to, as Strodav mentioned, geometric distortion of lines or shapes. An added category, background blur, could be added to the triangle above, creating a square, or four-part lenswork equation.

I love your pictures just the way they are! Your boys are crystal clear and draw all of my attention, just the way they should.

I know what bokeh is. I am most definitely referring to distortion. Those trees are starting to bow ever so slightly.

I know what bokeh is. I am most definitely referring to distortion. Those trees are starting to bow ever so slightly.
I’m not seeing it, but higher end Nikons can correct for distortion in the camera. You will probably need to download the latest corrections off of Nikon’s website, and then update your camera, just like updating firmware. LR also has a section to remove CA and distortion. I’m sure other PP apps do as well. Finally, you can take a picture of a brick wall and look for the distortion to see how bad it is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back