Distortions

Murray Bloom

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.murraybloomphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I often have fun with turning commonplace objects into something different. Just curious what others think of these. C&C welcome.

Iron Butterfly:

$Iron Butterfly.jpg

Predator:

$Predator.jpg

Incised:

$Incised.jpg

Hey, good work, very decorative, something to hang on the wall.
#1 My feeling is, that this is only a part of the image, the bottom ends to abruptly.

well, too bad, but #3 is really great.

Thanks, Timor. Appreciated. You have to remember that the original images looked nothing like these and were shot to be something else entirely.

Thanks, Timor. Appreciated. You have to remember that the original images looked nothing like these and were shot to be something else entirely.
That's the idea.

These are fantastic. Incredibly interesting distortions. More please!

Beautiful work!

I love the presentation as well.

These are really nice - so nice, that I can't choose which I like best. :) I love them all! Really creative.

Yes very cool. Wasn't too sure about them the first run through but after seeing the originals and what you turned them into...all I can say is wow. Kudos to you sir.

Love "Friend or Foe" in the second set.

Such an interesting idea and series. Do you get the idea to distort them before or after the shot?

Thanks Weags and Jenko.

The distortions come after the images are shot. All the images I used for these were originally intended to be more or less straight photographs. The distortions come later. Generally, I wouldn't know how to shoot images for distorting, especially because the fun for me is in the transformation. The only distortion that I understand how to shoot for is what are called 'tiny planets' (there's a thread about them on TPF), but although I've made a few, I don't really have a lot of interest in that sort of image. Plus, there are a lot of people doing better work in that genre than I ever could, or would want to.

My photographic 'specialty' is how I treat textures and surfaces, often abstractly; and that's what I want to bring to the distortions I do. So, I shoot for images that will appeal to my eye on that level, and find out later which of them I want to distort, or which will successfully distort at all. A lot of images won't. In fact, I only consider a small percentage of my distortion attempts to be successful; which is really crazy-making because the majority of my straight(er) photos are keepers. I suppose I've become spoiled.

The distortions usually highlight texture or surface, or are built around them; so when one works successfully, it's really pleasing for me. Here are a couple more examples.

Yin and Yin:

$Yin-&-Yin.jpg

Caverns of Wood:

$Caverns-of-Wood-b.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back