DIY Custom camera bag?

mimstrel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got several cameras now - 3 compact digis and a 35mm SLR - and I'd really like a case/bag to store or carry them in all together (or pick and choose the ones I need). I use different ones depending on where I'm headed/what I'm doing, so for example when I go on vacation I'll probably need at least 2 digis and the SLR. I'd like to make a case that will fit all of them, with extra room for a new dSLR when I have the money, and lenses for the SLRs. It will be a big case, with compartments for each camera and accessories, and I was wondering if anyone has made a camera case before. I'm thinking denim for the outside and cotton inside, but I'm worried that just those two with quilt batting inside won't be enough to keep everything safe (not that I plan on being rough on it, but sh!t happens).

What do you think? Will it be enough? Or should I add a layer or two?

Rather than batting, try using foam.

I said the same thing here: http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125773

Material links are in there too. ;)

I would use that pad, and tupperware plastic for reinforcement and wide bands of velcro everywhere so that everything is customizable. ;) See that link.

You wanna use fabrics and materials that don't produce dust... heavy nylons and etc. Douce them in high quality scotch-guard every 6 or 8 months to keep them waterproof too. ;)

Also it sounds like you have so much gear that you should try and design something that will break down into separate carryable mission packs. Like maybe buy 4 or so of those $5.00 waist bags and trick each one out with reinforcements and padded compartments and then make it so that they velcro together inside a central reinforced, padded, luggable pack or something. The Mother Ship :D

Last edited:
Thank you both very much. lots of great ideas. I just got a job at a fabric store so I'm going to wait until I start (and get a discount) before I start putting this together. I'll keep you posted on what I come up with!

Thanks! I'd love to see it picture tutorialized if you have the time!

If I remember to take pictures, I'll try to do a tutorial. I'll try very hard.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back