DIY Ring Flash Self-Portrait

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm terrible at DIY stuff, and basically anything that requires a drill. But even in my ineptitude I managed to build a ring flash out of nothing more than one of those metal heat lamp shade thingies, a heat heater coupling thingy, and some white paper.

It's pretty ghetto and doesn't give quite the effect of a professional piece of equipment, but for $28 vs. $400+ I can't complain.

I know I said self-portrait but here's a better photo. My roommate just has a more photogenic face than I do. Lighting works so well with the shape and everything.

Last edited:
the ring shows in the eyes. I have a ring flash from polaroid, it was only 49.99 on ebay. It is great for macro.

So I'm terrible at DIY stuff, and basically anything that requires a drill. But even in my ineptitude I managed to build a ring flash out of nothing more than one of those metal heat lamp shade thingies, a heat heater coupling thingy, and some white paper.

It's pretty ghetto and doesn't give quite the effect of a professional piece of equipment, but for $28 vs. $400+ I can't complain.

I know I said self-portrait but here's a better photo. My roommate just has a more photogenic face than I do. Lighting works so well with the shape and everything.

I like the first photo, it looks cool how your hair blends into the back ground.

when did captain Picard move in with you? and when did he grow a goatee? what happened to the Enterprise?!?

pixmedic said:
when did captain Picard move in with you? and when did he grow a goatee? what happened to the Enterprise?!?

After the recession he had to sell it off because he couldn't make the monthly payments. And now he's living in a cheap rental house with a dirty, lazy college kid. :(

Oh how our heroes have fallen.

I think the pictures turned out really nice for the amount of money you spent on building it. Add the fact that you admit that DIY isn't really your thing and I am really impressed. Makes me curious if this is something that i could pull off as well since i am in the market for a ring flash myself. Got any pictures or further details of how you built/assembled the ring flash that could help me out?

i'd like to change my statement about the pictures turning out nice for the amount of money you put out. I think they turned out really nice period.... The fact you only spent $28 is just another reason for you to be proud of yourself. GREAT WORK!!!

I think the pictures turned out really nice for the amount of money you spent on building it. Add the fact that you admit that DIY isn't really your thing and I am really impressed. Makes me curious if this is something that i could pull off as well since i am in the market for a ring flash myself. Got any pictures or further details of how you built/assembled the ring flash that could help me out?

Lots of stuff on the net.... https://www.google.com/search?q=diy...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Great results for a DIY project.

I'd love to see a picture of the flash you made to compare against the tutorials shown above.

I'd also be curious the degree to which I could modify it to my own slightly different purposes...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back