First self-portrait!

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
UPDATE: I got a couple comments about it, so I'll mention it here. The black silhouette of me is not fake in any way. It and the surrounding blue/white sky are both from a frame taken at 8:30pm with me facing the sunset. The pole was lit entirely by the headlights of passing cars over the course of the exposure.

I've spent a lot of time behind cameras over the years, but I've never taken a self-portrait. I thought I'd change that last night. It's not a final edit, so any CC is welcome, but I thought it in good enough shape to share :) Taken across 4 hours, and more than 450 frames.

Sounds odd to say about a self portrait, but I hope you enjoy it! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Self Portrait by TogaLive, on Flickr

Last edited:
I always enjoy star trails, my only suggestion would be, perhaps next time, place the north start directly at the top of the pole and center it on the pole. I think it'd work out fairly nice!

I always enjoy star trails, my only suggestion would be, perhaps next time, place the north start directly at the top of the pole and center it on the pole. I think it'd work out fairly nice!

Glad you liked it! Placing Polaris at the top was my initial plan, but it just wasn't possible. The camera was already about 6" off the ground, and a large irrigation canal behind me kept me from moving to an appropriate spot :/

Glad you liked it! Placing Polaris at the top was my initial plan, but it just wasn't possible. The camera was already about 6" off the ground, and a large irrigation canal behind me kept me from moving to an appropriate spot :/

Well I'm glad you gave it that thought!

Very cool. I like it.

That's really well done (as well as being very creative/inventive idea.)

The horizon is a bit bright... 8:30pm was probably too early to take the silhouette because it looks like a daytime and nighttime shot merged together. Perhaps another 30-60 minutes later and the horizon would have had a rich blue instead of the pale near-white that you're getting at the horizon.

You might be able to re-shoot just the sunset silhouette and use the existing star trails (although you'll never get that telephone pole to line up perfect... so it would be more of a crop & composite rather than merged image.)

love it. very unique!

Most reactions

Back