do any of you play musical instruments?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by carlita, Sep 23, 2003.

1. carlita

carlita TPF Noob!

geez, ain't that the truth! though there really are several in the photo department that aren't bad.

what is it with guys anyway? is there just some phase every guy goes through where he thinks he needs to learn guitar to get laid or something? like a rite of passage. my brother bought a guitar and never learned to play. my exboyfriend had one... never learned to play it. and my current boyfriend has an electric and an acoustic. at least he knows how to tune his. :roll:

2. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

3. Darfion

Darfion Soapbox guru...

Photos OK to edit
    I play guitar. When I say play I really mean wrestle. I'm self taught but not very good. For some strange reason, when i do play, one of my cats comes into the room and starts using my leg as a scratching post. The playing soon ceases.

4. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

Here's a link to a Roy Orbison cover me and some friends did for a comp CD.

I sing the first part, they sing the other two parts. We all play guitar on it and do harmony.

http://www.ddtdesign.com/yougotit_nq.mp3

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool - an actual link to a recording. Love Roy Orbison. I'll have to wait till I get home, the IT nazis here at work won't give me speakers, for some strange reason that I cannot fathom....

In the meantime, I agree with Manda. Matt needs to write us a song and pop it on here. Oh yes.

Women don't necessarily "put out" for guitar players....but perhaps I speak for a lot of women when I say, I DO like a guy who displays an artistic talent of most any kind. So - more to the point, I think, Will, is that men KNOW a lot of women have this vulnerability and shamelessly attempt to exploit it. :p It's not that hard to strum a few chords, you know? Although some of us will certainly hold out for a lot more than THAT. :wink:

6. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I started a band to get the ladies :D I loved playing music and the violin wasn't getting me a whole lot of women (at least not yet in highschool) so after highschool I started a ska band. My wife was kind of a groupie.

7. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well.... there you are! :wink:

8. carlita

carlita TPF Noob!

haha... i rest my case. :wink:

9. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

Note to self, Buy guitar + carry it around college + watch the ladies swoon = Steve the love machine!!!! Yeah thats it, now i too can be a Cassanova, perhaps i will use my super geek powers to mount an MP3 player and speakers inside the guitar, replace the actual strings with fishing line, and really rock the ladies worlds. Then i could have all the chicks, get famous, and write books to other nerds on how to score with the ladies..... First i need a really cool name, how about Gavin, or Tommy Lee, or pehaps Gunner LOL. Then i can buy some leather pants and grow my hair like Scott Stipe-(Misspelled? the Creed guy), yeah and a cool tattoo, of a dragon or something. Then i can go out to the commons area, crank up the secret MP3 plater and rock some Metallica riffs or something, make weird mouth gestures like i am really into it, and the ladies will be fightin for a piece of me......

Teachers always told me i spent too much time day dreaming to be successfull in life, now i can prove them wrong, I'll let you all know how it turns out! I think i am going with Gavin.

10. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

my father never had the chance to do what i did, because he got married and had kids. so he forced me to learn all those instruments. he also taught me to play by ear, read sheet music, and compose multiple piece ensembles. it didnt get me any women, the one woman it might have got tore my heart out and walked all over it. now i wear it on my sleeve.

terri, thanks for your kind words!!! ill try to get something up on the boards for you..

manda and terri...what do i get for doing this? :oops:
    :oops:
    :oops:

md

11. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds great, nice job!

How was it recorded?

12. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

If you're talking to me, then we did it on pro tools filling up all 32 tracks. We actually had more but we pushed a few of the tracks down to one. For instance, we all play acoustic and electric rhythm guitar, we all take on lead type part...so that's 9 guitars there. We had a friends come in and play the violin and drums, and the tympany was done with a Roland keyboard.

Then we have 3 tracks of each of the 3 part harmonies...so there's another 9 tracks. Then we have about 12 tracks of just clapping.