Do I need a different kind of Tripod for Medium Format?

Floyd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do I need a different kind of Tripod for Medium Format or the same as 35mm, or the same with a different plate?

As long is it's one of the burly type tripods. Unless you're constantly using telephotos on your medium format, something mainstay like a Bogen 3021 with mid sized head works perfect.

If you've got a lightweight Slik or sumtin' an upgrade would be advisable.

I ask this because I saw a thing on ebay that said "Original Rollei Rolleifix quick release adaptor for tripod. Allows for stable and firm attachment of Rolleiflex camera to a tripod. Safer and more vibration free than using just the tripod fixing on the camera base. Camera can be released and re-attached in seconds. Included is a Helicoil adaptor so both 3/8” and 1/4” tripod threads can be used. In used but perfectly functioning condition. " and I thought what? **** I thought tripods were universal, so are they or are they not? Because maybe I misunderstood but what you were trying to say was camera weight/tripod stability related right? So I'll phrase it better are tripods universal or do you need a special one for medium format or at least medium format TLR's?

fa_12_sb.JPG

be_12_s.JPG

e9_12_s.JPG

As long as you have a sturdy tripod and head it won't be a problem.

Nothing special needed. The tripod socket is standard. Just be sure the tripod is rugged enough to support the extra weight.

Of course the Rolleifix only works with a Rolleiflex TLR, not with other MF TLRs or SLRs.

Like the others said... If you put a heavy camera on a light tripod then it's not very stable. Most TLRs aren't much heavier than 35mm SLRs, so I think you'd be okay, unless you were using an exceptionally light tripod. MF SLRs get pretty heavy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back