Do I need a leveling plate for my tripod?

Dieter01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am upgrading from my old Velbon tripod to something a bit more sturdy. Thinking of the Manfrotto MagFiber 055MF3 combined with a Markins Q-Ball M10 at the moment (but would really appreciate pointers to reviews, they are quite hard to find on tripods).

Now... If I buy the combination above, am I then all set? Or do I need any other stuff in between? I read of leveling plates and "QR", but I don't know what that means! Do I need a QR or a leveling plate?

I'm not sure what a leveling plate is, but a QR is a quick release, and it comes in very handy when attaching/removing the camera from the tripod. It's a small plate that attaches to the bottom of the camera, and allows it to fit securely on the tripod by flipping a small lever and "locking" it in place.

Ahh, yes. I have that on my current tripod as well. Isn't that standard? Do I need one for the ballhead?

Most heads come with 1 plate that fits them. Often all of a companies plates will be interchangeable on their heads but not always. Regardless if you buy the head it should come with the needed plate. As for leveling plate.. it just sounds like a QR plate that probably also has spirit levels built into it.

I think I have spirit levels on all my tripods. I'm not sure I've ever used one. Perhaps for some technical shots but I don't remember ever needing it.

With a ball head, I don't see any sense in a level. A tripod, shooting a panoramic, maybe.

Most reactions

Back