Do I need a new lens? Or can I make do with what I have?

CarolB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I have a 75-300 lens and the 18-55 that came with the camera.

I am needing to photograph high speed dance line in a school gym. I have tried everything I can think of to make my photos crisp (sitting close, sitting far, changing the shutter speed) but my pictures really just aren't cutting it. I have NOT tried a tripod yet. I don't have a ton of money to spend on a new lens. I'd really like to be able to make do with what I have and maybe there is just something I'm overlooking. If I do just need to get a new lens, any recommendations for this situation? Again, not a ton of money to spend but I will be using it for several years so I don't mind making a small investment. Thanks for the help.

When you say "changing the shutter speed" what do you mean, i.e., what is the fastest you've been able to use? The 75-300 is not a fast lens, and the XT isn't very good above ISO 400, so I'm guessing you are still not at a sufficiently fast shutter speed to stop motion. In that case a tripod would not help. The solutions are: (1) a camera which is usable at higher ISO settings, (2) a much faster lens, or (3) both. If you can control where you sit and if you are typically using about the same framing, e.g., taking a full-body shot of one dancer, then you could use a fast prime lens like the 200/f 2.8, 135/f 2 or 85/f 1.8. A fast zoom like the 70-200/f 2.8 will cost you quite a bit more. If you post more information on distance, ISO settings and focal lengths you've used you will get more useful advice.

The flash Tirediron suggests is a pretty handy piece of gear for stopping high-speed motion, reliably...

If you've tried a tripod and cranking up the ISO and still, no gold ...you need flash or a faster lense.

I have those lenses you listed and they are good outdoors - once you step indoors, the lighting is often insufficient - unless you have a still subject, a flash, a tripod or are going for motion blur anyway. Depending on your distance from the subject (or ability to move in closer), you could always try the cheapo 50mm 1.8 and then just move around or crop (that's assuming you have that kind of freedom) ... I should warn, though, that while I love that lense, the autofocus is a PITA (at least on mine) and I rarely use it for fast moving objects because by the time the lense decides to find itself, I've lost the moment, but if you're quick with manual focus, it could work for you ... otherwise, you're back to needing flash or a faster telephoto lense.

try a tripod....camera shake could be your problem not your lenses i wouldnt go out and buy a lense right away try simple things lighting tripod and then look at your lense

A tripod would allow you to use slower shutter speeds to counteract the low light, but if its a fairly fast action thing then a slower shutter speeds not going to capture the action. Flash would allow you to do this, but depends on whether the organisers allow flash photography or not. Cheapest option would maybe be a fast 50 like this

Try either a tripod or a monopod. Couple that with a fast telephoto zoom or maybe even prime, and you'd be set. I would try to stay away from the flash. The last thing high scholars need is a bunch of flashes firing in their faces. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back