Do I need a UV Filter?

arin04

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got my Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II and bought a low priced Tiffen UV Filter. Now should I even use one with this lens and if so should I put in more money for a better one? I'm not too familiar with the lower priced in comparison to the higher ones and don't know if the cheaper one can hinder the quality of my shots with the new lens.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If you insist on using one, buy a top-of-the-line one. I see the UV filters as useless, UV protection is built in to the camera body and it offers little to no protection for the lens.

Some people say it's good for protection and that is the main reason I have it but then at the same time I'm not sure if the glass on a cheaper priced version might take away from the quality of the lens. Do you think that a UV Filter overall will not really protect the lens?

What do you think will happen when the protective filter fails? What direction do you think those pieces of hardened glass will travel? What do you suppose those shards of glass will do to your lens or it's coating?

You're far better off with a metal or plastic hood and taking care not to drop your camera onto pointy rocks.

A UV filter on a lens serves absolutely no purpose but to reduce image quality. It offers no protection at all unless you're in a windy desert for a few hours, shooting full time. That's about it.

A UV filter on a lens serves absolutely no purpose but to reduce image quality. It offers no protection at all unless you're in a windy desert for a few hours, shooting full time. That's about it.

Thanks, I will be removing it

What do you think will happen when the protective filter fails? What direction do you think those pieces of hardened glass will travel? What do you suppose those shards of glass will do to your lens or it's coating?

You're far better off with a metal or plastic hood and taking care not to drop your camera onto pointy rocks.

Didn't think of it like that

Good decision. That being said, be prepared for sharper images, with brighter colors, and a slight improvement in AF. Well that's what happened to me, at least. :)

Unless you're crazy like wife's biological grandfather and live in a dune field, I wouldn't recommend them. The only time I would is if you're in a situation where small projectiles might come in contact with the lens - sand, water spray, insects (aparently that's a problem in PA).

That man is sure is proud of his sand hill, though.

Last edited:
Good decision. That being said, be prepared for sharper images, with brighter colors, and a slight improvement in AF. Well that's what happened to me, at least. :)

Looking forward to it.

Hold on to it:
1. You might decide to shoot some film, or
2. You could use it for a little picture frame/tree ornament.

The front element of the lens is vey durable. For walking around, you get way more protection from a lens hood and lens cap.

Hold on to it:
1. You might decide to shoot some film, or
2. You could use it for a little picture frame/tree ornament.

The front element of the lens is vey durable. For walking around, you get way more protection from a lens hood and lens cap.

I will still hang on to it. Thanks

I've never thought of a UV filter as impact protection, didn't think anyone would even consider it...

I've always used them to protect the lens glass from rubber, stone chips/gravel dust and rain (well constantly cleaning it off the front), but then, if you don't shoot in those conditions, i guess go naked...

Unless you're crazy like wife's biological grandfather and live in a dune field,

That man is sure is proud of his sand hill, though.

I wonder if he means old Ben Kenobi?

No. This guy was just an abusive jerk, trying to get as far from society as possible (good riddance). Bought a couple acres without any water in central Wyoming, where the wind blows continuously at 40mph+.

Just him, sand, sagebrush and snakes.

I've never thought of a UV filter as impact protection, didn't think anyone would even consider it...

I see them recommended for that very purpose quite often.

I don't personally use them, but I can see how they would be useful for things like sand or mud.

So, maybe a good idea to have one, just don't leave it on all the time.

Most reactions

Back