Do I need a UV Filter?

Mud especially. I'd imagine that would be very hard to clean without completely destroying your lens in the process.

Mud especially. I'd imagine that would be very hard to clean without completely destroying your lens in the process.
I'm not sure that's true, I'm sure you could isolate the glass to clean it with pure water, and clean the rest with whatever...or the local camera depot might have a method.

Not all mud is created equal, lol. The mud here is very sandy and abrasive - I would not want it on my lenses, ever.

It's not like that east-coast mud I was used to that comes right off with a little running water, lol.

Why buy a top quality lens and then scew a pice of **** on the front i dont use any filters on my L lenses

I use B+W uv filter on my lens. Often it gets dirty and if my hands are tied, I just wipe it with my shirt. It's just a kind of convenience and peace of mind.

Put it this way, if I don't have the filter on, I'd be too careful with my gear. As a seasoned photographer said to me, getting the shot is more important than getting a good clean shot. I think I'd have missed many good shots if I cared too much.

I took a pretty significant fall with a 5D and a 24-70mm f/2.8L, detailed here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...anon-devotee-public-service-announcement.html

I had the lens hood affixed to the lens, and that's all the protection I needed.

If I'm dropping a grand or two on the lens, the quality of the images produced is going to only be as good as the weakest link or, in this case, as good as the most inferior piece of glass in front of the sensor.

I have CPL's which I'll use on occasion, and I think I have a star filter that I've not used in decades. Other than those, though, I go filterless...

What are some processes or accessories anyone uses to clean the lens?

greasy t-shirt?

I actually just use alcohol swabs provided for lens and eyeglass care. I get the Zeiss-branded ones from Wal-Mart, not because they're Zeiss (who knows who actually makes them) but because they're pretty inexpensive and in the pharmacy isle. If I had like a giant dab of silty mud, I'd need to be more careful.

Don't get too fastidious about cleaning. Too much cleaning may end up damaging the lens.

Good to know. I thought it had to be one specifically made for DSLR lenses.

Yah, I'm on a break on spending money for a while after the new lens

Most reactions

Back