Do I really need 45mp

So back to 45MP who is jumping on the mega mega pixel wagon and what glass to go with it.

No to much for my wallet, The D750 is more in my budget range and a great camera but dont really have a need for full frame I prefer crop sensor for wildlife.

No to much for my wallet, The D750 is more in my budget range and a great camera but dont really have a need for full frame I prefer crop sensor for wildlife.
If i had to guess. People into landscape photography , Not sure who else it would suit for other than on a tripod,

No but I like to crop a lot. I'm trying to talk myself into a D850 but I fear I might be disappointed.

Well ... disappointed about what exactly ?

Interestingly the D850 has 45 Megapixel, but ISO 64 and backlit technology, the later which boosts the efficiency by about 30%, while the D700 has ISO 200 and only 12 Megapixel. Thus per pixel the D850 gets about as much light as the good old D700 ! If both are run at their respective base ISO, of course.

Thus the D850 can give you basically the same base performance of the D700 - if of course you run it at ISO 64 - PLUS all technological advances ever since then, such as the Sony EXMOR technology for improved dynamic range.

Other than that, personally no, I dont need 45 Megapixel myself.

I much rather would like to get like 12, 16 or 20 Megapixel with great reserves for all situations, like a D3, D4 or D5 gives you. Now if only somebody would offer a full frame 16 megapixel Nikon DSLR with current technology, backlit and all .. sadly no such luck.

Cropping reserves are nice to have, if not a bit decadent. But mostly the D850 is the current pinnacle of Nikon technology and quality. And its a massive bargain, too. Its release was motivated by Nikon turning 100. I dont think it would have been done this way otherwise. We wouldnt have seen this level of build quality, or this viewfinder.

Thats why I want one. Well, actually, I want two.

Why would you not want the 45 mp sensor? That is like medium format territory

Oh good, so that old smartphone from around 2010 - I think it was from Nokia ? - that has 40 Megapixel is actually medium format ? So why did we ever waste so much money on our cameras ? You have shown us the light !

Admit it, next thing you'll say is your iPhone can take as good images as my DSLR. :p

If you want medium format, you have to buy medium format. Theres no substitution to sensor size.

And no format is defined by some specific amount of megapixels.

Besides, even the old D700 already can already give you amazing image quality, as does say a Fujifilm X-T3. So yeah, its another case of diminishing returns. With medium format you pay a lot and get a tiny improvement. But it might be just that tiny improvement you always wanted, though.

I have to wonder how many lenses that can actually rock that much resolution from that sensor.

Why, all of them, and none of them. The whole question is absolute bullocks.

The total resolution of any optical system is decided by the loss of resolution in any component.

All lenses give more resolution if the resolution of the sensor rises.

All sensors give more resolution if the resolution of the lens rises.

Meanwhile I find these rumors that you need current lenses for the D850 completely riddiculous.

First of all, as I just pointed out, higher resolution in lenses shows up even if the sensor isnt so high in resolution.

Second of all old low ISO black and white film could already reach 50 megapixel on small format, so whats new ?

Third of all to get twice the resolution you need four times the pixels. So that mighty D850 ... actually has barely twice the resolution of the D700. Hu ! And you seriously want to tell me all lenses somehow no longer work ? I can assure you thats not the case.

The only reason why people speak such garbage is because they want to sell you the newest crap.

I wont change a single lens when switching to the D850, and my oldest lens is from 1980. I have absolutely zero fear any of my lenses will disappoint. Certainly not the one from 1980, since thats of my sharpest lenses.

Finally it should be added that I view myself primarily as an artist, not as a copying machine. I will gladly leave demands of extreme resolution to those who view themselves more as a copying machine.

I got one of my landscapes printed at 24"x16" it arrives today, aim is to see how big I can print before it looks poop (I use a D500). I've printed at 12x8 and the prints look amazing.

So back to 45MP who is jumping on the mega mega pixel wagon and what glass to go with it.
I use mine with the holy trinity and an 85 1.4. I'll have to do some tests with some of my older, legacy glass to see what that's like. No complaints so far however.

I had intended to use it only for portrait work, but the XQD card is so damn fast that I'm actually using it for a lot of event work and other stuff (and chewing through digital storage at a phenomenal rate..).

I use mine with the holy trinity and an 85 1.4. I'll have to do some tests with some of my older, legacy glass to see what that's like. No complaints so far however.

I had intended to use it only for portrait work, but the XQD card is so damn fast that I'm actually using it for a lot of event work and other stuff (and chewing through digital storage at a phenomenal rate..).
The space the files takes up.... Yeah i could see that being a problem.

Not worried about the glass. Worried about the processor and HDD. Lightroom is already the world's worst application for handling large files -- I had to upgrade my rig when I went from 24 to 36MP in both the processor and storage space.

I'm happy with m 12.1 mp D3s. I might feel different if I were a professional studio photographer, but I just shoot for fun, and mostly film, so the latest and greatest digital camera isn't a priority for me. Most of the issue I have with more mp is the file size. I already hate dealing with digital editing anyway, I can't imagine the suffering that 45mp would cause. I sometimes shoot for work and the camera there is a measely Fujifilm Xt-2 with 24mp, and that already feels more sluggish when editing. Also, having to buy all that extra storage space isn't appealing to me at all.

Obviously, we're all different, but that's my 2¢

Not worried about the glass. Worried about the processor and HDD. Lightroom is already the world's worst application for handling large files -- I had to upgrade my rig when I went from 24 to 36MP in both the processor and storage space.
I cant use my d800. My computer is to old. It takes me 5 minutes to load a file from just the 7100. The hard disk lights up red on the screen with out of space, out of memory issues. I have external drive too but havent put enough on it, because the computer is so short on memory and space it takes forever to transfer anything. I did delete enough photos that it almost made it through a defragment session. I think it is like 8 years old? Only 4 or 6 megabytes of ram. Nikon software just freezes sometimes while i edit. Then i have to unplug it and take the battery out and restart it. All really quite amusing. I have sd cards of photos i just hang onto, afraid to try to process them. I probably should have put more photos on the external drive BEFORE it was to this point. It just freezes somtimes now. Poor thing is confused and overloaded. I edit a lot on my phone now

Very good points.

I hope this is not a dumb question, but what do you mean by the "holy trinity". I'm sure you don't mean onions, celery and bell peppers and I doubt it is a religious reference.

If you really want MPs resolution, stick with film (especially medium format and above; especially fine grained low speed film).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back