Do you accept credit cards?

Breanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never run into someone who asked until just last week. A bride asked if she could pay for $170 work of engagement prints with a credit card. We have a good repitoir so I told her that if she wanted to pay by CC I could accept a Paypal payment. (PS- she has paid for everything else thus far with a check)

I know that moving forward I should probably set something up that is more official, but was curious as to what everyone else did. I've used a CC (debit) to pay for portrait prints before, but it was a high end photographer who averages $1000+ per client. That's not me. Yet. :lol:

You are looking at $20-$40 a month in fees in order to accept credit cards. I've used a service through Quickbooks and now an I-Phone app of all things to accept them.

Shop for:

1. Monthly program cost.
2. Per transaction fee.
3. % for each type of card (MC/Visa, Discover and Amex)

Stay away from the terminals that require a cell phone plan unless you are doing $$,$$$ a month in transactions.

I have Pay Pal integrated with my ordering system to accept credit cards. When an order is placed online they can pay with a credit card without a pay pal account.
That is what has worked for me so far. I looked into POS system but it required;
-$600 POS terminal
-Phone Line (I only use BlackBerrys)
-a monthly fee
-and a % of each sale

In the end it just did not seem worth it.
Beside, I do not have to worry about all the admin, now, just track what each trasaction cost me and when it is worth it to swich to a POS Sytem, I will.

I used to have an online store that was a hobby business but what i did is i went to a friend who has a retail store nearby and asked him to run my charges for me. we had a deal where i would bring the CC info into his store and he would run the charge. at the end of the month he would total up my charges, subtract $2 per charge for his service and subtract the transaction charges from his POS account. most months his fees from me covered his service charge and I got to take CCs without the hassle of setting up my own POS.

might work for you if you know someone with a retail store.

jerry

I accept Visa, MC, Discover and Am Ex.

People pay for anything with cards from passports sessions ($20) to weddings (thousands). It's not so much the amount of the sale. Some folks (like me) never carry cash and others like the convenience.

-Pete

I used to have an online store that was a hobby business but what i did is i went to a friend who has a retail store nearby and asked him to run my charges for me. we had a deal where i would bring the CC info into his store and he would run the charge. at the end of the month he would total up my charges, subtract $2 per charge for his service and subtract the transaction charges from his POS account. most months his fees from me covered his service charge and I got to take CCs without the hassle of setting up my own POS.

might work for you if you know someone with a retail store.

jerry

FYI, this is usually against the rules of the processor, so most people would be inclined to not do this.

I once had a processor for my business that cost about $100 a year to maintain plus the various fees associated with each purchase. Really quite cheap compared to most. They don't appear to be in business anymore however. :)

FYI, this is usually against the rules of the processor, so most people would be inclined to not do this.

I once had a processor for my business that cost about $100 a year to maintain plus the various fees associated with each purchase. Really quite cheap compared to most. They don't appear to be in business anymore however. :)

Just can't leave can ya!! :hug::

Slow day at work... bored.

Yeah, as of yet I take credit cards in the form of Paypal. (I'm thinking of setting up with Google Checkout as well). If they want to I can do the charge while they are there, and its really quite cheap, 35 cents plus 2.5 percent of the overall bill. It would be nice to have a POS etc. but unless you do a lot of business, and have your own location I don't really see the value.

He also runs the risk of charge backs, the risk of MC/Visa and the others shutting him down for violating their TOS's......not to mention an accounting nightmare.

He also runs the risk of charge backs, the risk of MC/Visa and the others shutting him down for violating their TOS's......not to mention an accounting nightmare.

ALL so true.

And (I'm not at all sure about this), but I suspect its illegal as hell!

-Pete

perhaps i should feel fortunate that I did not have any problems, no customer ever complained or charged back.

cheers
jerry

I've been thinking about the google checkout and Paypal to make it easier for my clients to pay. Do clients mind using these? I think the fee is like 3% right.

Just one thing I thought I'd mention about PayPal. The idea of PayPal is quite convenient. It's easier and cheaper than getting your own cc machine, but I'd personally try to look into alternatives. I don't know about that google check out thing... maybe that's a good alternative?

The problem I have with paypal is... if everything runs smoothly with your customers they're fine, but if you have a problem, don't expect them to help you. I've come across very few companies with customer support as bad as PayPal. In fact not only were they not helpful, but everyone I spoke with there were just cruel, mean people. They literally tried to steal $500 bucks from me. Brief description of the situation... I ordered a product, paid through paypal, but they never sent the payment to the person I ordered the product from because they froze that person's account due to the account being hacked. But instead of refunding me the money, they kept it. (i got it back by disputing with my cc company, but they certainly tried to just keep it).

When I discussed my missing money with them, I was told quite literally "we don't care" by quite a few people. Typically I can blow that type of behavior off as someone having a bad day, and i just hang up and talk to someone else at the company who might be more helpful, but one person after another there told me they couldn't care less about my problem, or my missing money.

It was quite shocking and I've refused to use their services since then. Save yourself the headache and try to find another company who offers this service. I know there are a few others out there.

-Jim
New York Photographer Jim Powell - www.jimpowellphoto.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back