Do you always use software?

Actually, software controls the shutter, the lens aperture, and the image sensor too.

Software in a digiital camera is activated as soon as you power up the camera. Even when the camera is just sitting there turned on, the camera software is running an 'idle loop' that watches for an interrupt (a pressed button, or moved switch).

But correct.

Digital cameras are simply a big computer. Hardly any control ont he camera is a really something mechanic. Most of them are buttons who just send signals to the computer chips inside the camera.

Software drives the camera. You use software to take the photo. You use software to process the photo, even in-camera. You use software to save the image onto a memeory card. You use software to transfer the files to your computer. You use software to view the files. You use software to rename the files. You use software to delete the crappy shots. You use software to email your photos. You use software to back-up your files. You use software to upload your images to a hosting site. You use software to post your photos on innernet forums.

For me not always. I don't use software when i shoot with any of these:

SRW_2513.jpg

Then how did you get the photo of them up here with out software???:lol::lmao:

I personally shoot everything in Raw these days, import to LightRoom, then to Photo Shop, back to LightRoom and then either print or post. I find that all of my photos can be improved by a little cropping and tweaking.

Everything digital has been touched by software. How someone uses the software is personal choice. Good photographers try and get most of it right in camera, this is helped by knowlege and an understanding of photography. Many photographers rely on software to create the images they can't figure out how to do right in the first place...usually with the thought of "I can fix it later" I always use photoshop, just for a crop, or level adjustment, usually only minor details, unless the image is being used for something specfic that requires more work.

The world is pretty much software driven now.

I don't think the OP is asking about in-camera software but, Post Processing. I think he/she is asking "do you always post process". In my case the answer is yes.

I shoot everything in raw these days. The raw file is an imperfect representation of my vision. Only when the initial crop, color correction and additional post processing is done does the picture actually take shape. Post processing is just another tool in the photographer's kit.

I don't think the OP is asking about in-camera software but, Post Processing. I think he/she is asking "do you always post process". In my case the answer is yes.

I think the point people are trying to make is that if you don't use post processing, you're effectively letting the camera decide how it's processed. People get this idea that post processing is less pure, when it's not at all The camera is still doing 'post processing' if you never open up a program other than a straight import of the JPEGs, it's just that the processing is being done by a dumb auto program built into your camera, which most of the time isn't very good.

RAW in modern cameras like D800 or 5D III is unbelievable. Combined with process version 2012 in LR 4.1, I can tweak every single thing about the picture. The only thing you can't do is correct missed focus, which with DSLR's like D800 and 5D you can't get.

Basically, I don't have to care about my particular exposure settings or white balance, or iso noise or anything, just point and shoot because RAW + LR will allow for crazy amount of editing to be done without losing quality.

Do most people use software to adjust all there pictures in some way or do you ever just take a picture and make no adjustments to it?

Do you wipe after you use the bathroom?

Use software for any photo you are going to publish or print or send to a client. Any magazine you look at has doctored up the images to make them look their best. There is just a balance in not OVER-adjusting the images. this website does a pretty good job of that... http://www.gracenotephotography.com also I think chasejarvis.com is pretty good at keeping the images looking real but perfected. Also zack arias is a great photographer worth following.

Here in Europe they're passing laws & generally taking action (they've begun in the UK) which prevent beauty-product-related pictures to be adjusted.
Meaning: if you sell anti-aging creams, you don't smooth out wrinkles with "clarity" (of what-have-you) in Photoshop to sell more products.
Then again: every image is somehow modified by software (at least the one which makes jpgs out of RAW), so I wonder how these laws will cope with this reality.

It all began with this:
http://www.healthnews.com/en/news/LOreal-UK-ads-banned-for-retouched-photos-/2XlY1H3qDCfxFvENq6ZZU$/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back