Do you consider yourself an artist?

Do you consider yourself an artist?

• Yes

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Somewhere in the middle

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I own several berets and can talk for length about the "deep" meaning of a photo of a white wall

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • bacon

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Hilarious 6th option

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
I have such a nice collection of hats I can wear
Graphic designer,
Sales person
Business women
Mother
teacher
Photographer
and more
I think that my artistic sense has been used much more being a mother and a teacher than anything else.
For me being an artist is a mood that passes according to the situations I live.
But I do have some artistic abilities, however they don't define me.
and I like wine!

Excellent! Caused me to think of what hats I have worn:

Television Producer
Television Director
Multi-media Producer and Presenter
Audio Technician
Journalist
Photographer
Computer Animator
Television Editor
Teaching teachers how to teach.

And even artist, on rare occasions. ;)

skieur said:
Excellent! Caused me to think of what hats I have worn:

Television Producer
Television Director
Multi-media Producer and Presenter
Audio Technician
Journalist
Photographer
Computer Animator
Television Editor
Teaching teachers how to teach.

And even artist, on rare occasions. ;)

Wow! It's amazing how our previous titles match so perfectly. I have had the pleasure of enjoying a few more fairly prestigious titles than you have but that's neither here nor there.

Us multi talented "jack of all trades, masters of none" must stick together after all :)

I do consider myself a photographer and a graphic designer. Just not an artist.

So how do you define yourself? How do you define an artist?

If someone on this planet one day watches your work and says it's art, then the creator of it, is the artist?
Considered by that person, anyway.

You can, yourself, always say that you're not an artist, just to act snooty.

Artist NO!although over the years I have won a couple of art awards.

In Australia we once had Sir Leslie Colin "Les" Patterson cultural attaché to the Yartz. and on the subject of Yartz a few years back artists in the upper echelon where invited to submit for a very up-market exhibition . Myself and a few matesnot so arty where not invited , so over a few glasses of red wine we formulated a PISS TAKING entry .. Not only was it accepted but was a feature article in one of those snotty art magazines

I do - not because I think I'm so great that art shines out of my backside every time I bend over, but because generally when I take a photo, it's because I had some preconceived vision about what I wanted to create - I very realy try to document reality, and I get cross when people tell me a photo has wrong exposure, white balance, etc -- if it's blue and mostly burnt out, it's because I wanted it to be blue and mostly burn out, not because I can't find the white balance and exposure sliders - that's what I wanted to create - I don't really give damn what reality actually looked like at the time I pressed the button - reality was just there to save me a lot of drawing / painting, which I suck at :lol:

Also, I like drinking wine. but I hate hats, so maybe I'm just a bad artist :)

Last edited:
I do since a French photography magazine (their website is photo.fr) approached me, then wrote a small piece about my latest project and called me an artist:)

^^ Wow, congrats, that's pretty cool!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Oh, also, I am an artist because I'm narcissistic enough to have my pictures all over the walls at home, and no-one elses :lmao:

I was going to reply "Somewhere in the middle" but, being a good red-blooded American, I simply couldn't allow the "bacon" option to pass me by...

Yes, I do. As a photographer and creative visionary, I create what I visualize before I capture the image.

I think it depends on how I am photographing the subject. If I am taking regular photographs then no, but if I am looking at something in particular and working on positioning etc then yes. Also it depends on how much post processing and editing is done and what your aims are when it comes to editing the photograph.

I am a traditional artist with paint. And I do consider photography an art though I'm not much good at it.
I do like to wear berets. Not because I'm an artist but because I look adorable in a beret.
Our local butcher is a heck of a literary artist. I think some of you may appreciate his work..
$IMG_6572 (Medium).JPG

Most reactions

Back