Do you consider yourself an artist?

Do you consider yourself an artist?

• Yes

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Somewhere in the middle

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I own several berets and can talk for length about the "deep" meaning of a photo of a white wall

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • bacon

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Hilarious 6th option

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The reason I ask is because when I think of an artist I think of people in berets drinking wine and acting snooty. I love art, but hate prototypical artists.

I do consider myself a photographer and a graphic designer. Just not an artist.

So how do you define yourself? How do you define an artist?

Well, I like to drink. Not necessarily wine, though. And I love art. And I know some snooty people. I even know a guy who wears a beret. Does that qualify me as an artist? :D

Okay, seriously:
Yes, I consider myself an artist. Just not an especially good one. :lol:
I ALSO consider myself a photographer. Just not an especially good one of those, either.

But--for ME--I'm not ALWAYS creating "art" when I'm doing photography, and I'm certainly not always doing photography when I create art.

Artists, just like ANY other group of people, are quite a varied lot. I suppose there IS the snooty, wine-drinking, beret-wearing type, but most of the really talented artists I know are also some of the most interesting, enjoyable people I know. I like to pretend that they see ME that way, too. :D

EDIT: I think of the snooty beret-wearers more as the "art critics" the art "aficionado."

After 9 months, I really don't know what to classify myself so I'd say inbetween. I wouldn't go as far to call myself an artist but others might see it differently. I don't see a need to put myself into a box like that. I enjoy taking pictures of different types and learning and trying to get better. If it's art, then great, if not, no sweat.

PS for what it's worth, I look dumb in a beret, but I will drink wine (in or out of the box) but I'm just a regular guy so no snooty here.

I don't really classify myself, except as a fat, bald guy who likes cheeseburgers and Merlot... and I HATE berets! Does that help?

Considering I'm a beret wearing commie pinko... I'll have to go with that one.

This is destined to degenerate into an argument that can be boiled down to semantics.
I shall answer before that occurs.
Yes, I consider myself an artist and photography is my chosen medium.

If you call yourself an artist, but also wear a beret, you probably are not. You're probably a poseur.

Yeah, I'm an artist. I even make art sometimes.

Yeah, I'm an artist. I even make art sometimes.

There's the nubb. I create 8hrs a day but I wouldn't consider it art. It's all well done and visually appealing, but not art.

I do maybe 2hrs a week of "art" outside of work.

Yeah. You gotta figure out what the heck art *is* for one thing. Once I sorted that out well enough to suit myself, I started to get someplace. Turns out that most of what I do pretty much fails, but very now and then something hits and it's pretty good.

PixelRabbit said:
Yes, I consider myself an artist and photography is my chosen medium.

I think you nailed the description quite nicely Judy. That is precisely how I would categorize myself.

Yeah. You gotta figure out what the heck art *is* for one thing.

Therein lies the crux of my failed topic. What art is and who defines it.

If you're wondering if you're an artist or not, you get to define what art is for yourself. Then ask yourself if that's what you're doing.

I've known people who felt that art was in all things they did, their work, their food, the way the cooked, ate, lived, and existed in the world. They're artists! And, arguably, Buddhists.

Art is a nicely done Bacon Cheeseburger, of course! ;)

And sometimes a towel, depending on what universe you are in....

In before the thread is locked!

YEAHHHA!

Most reactions

Back