do you edit in Photoshop or lightroom ad why

I use Photoshop simply because I haven't used Light room yet. I've heard that Light room is perfect for quick edits and Photoshop is amazing if you're going to be really precise on your work.

Should have both.

I use Lightroom for cataloging and the majority of my 'snapshot' edits. I'm not a professional photographer or anything, it's just a hobby for me, so I take ALOT of pictures of family events and things like that, which are usually just snapshots or candid images that lightroom can help me bring the best out of. I use photoshop when I'm getting 'down and dirty', like a panorama or an HDR, or even an image I "took on purpose" like when my fiancee and I go out and do photoshoots in a park and I get a neatly framed up shot and want to just make it pristine, I use photoshop. Always interesting in finding out what additional software could come in handy, so I'll be watching this thread! (I'm a total noob, so I should probably add this as a 'disclaimer', simply answering your question, how I use it, not trying to offer advice as to how someone else should, I'm new to this stuff)

I use Adobe Camera Raw before opening in Photoshop. Typically I only use ACR for Noise Reduction and Lens Correction. Everything else I do in Photoshop.

Lightroom for basic adjustments and minor stuff. Photoshop for more serious stuff.. and for fun or artsy edits

If you shoot RAW using Nikon, NX2 is a great program for simple post processing and minor adjustments. I also use it for batch processing converting to jpg. Then I use Photoshop for finer adjustments if needed. I tried Lightroom before but did not like it much.

Adobe designed Lightroom as a complimentary image database management application to Photoshop. Lightroom was designed specifically for photographers that routinely produce, and need to manage, a lot of photographs.
Lightroom's Develop module uses ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) to do parametric (non-destructive to pixles) editing. Lightroom inherited ACR from Photoshop. Photoshop CS5's Camera Raw and Lightroom 3 both use ACR 6. ACR first appeared in Photoshop 7. Adobe called Photoshop 8 - Creative Suite (CS). CS2 is Photoshop 9, and todays CS5 is Photoshop 12.

Photoshop is used by graphic artists, photographers, web developers, desk top publishers and many other types of creatives.

So, in summary: Lightroom by itself is an incomplete photograph image editing solution. Adobe initially designed the first version of Lightroom based on the assumption it would be purchased by photographers that already used Photoshop CS3.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back