Do you ever get rid of your RAW images?

It would take an awful lot of disks to back up my files and hard drives can fail even when sitting around. And while dvds can also fail, a single 4 gig DVD failing loses a lot fewer images than, say, a 1 Tb hdd.

That's why I use 2 external 2TB hard drives with one inside a small fireproof lock box. They're less than $100 ea. They're WAAAY faster than a DVD to download files to them. It's much faster to access the files too.

My workflow:
Load the images into 3 external drives (_one of which is portable). I clean up gigs of one of the externals. Once the gig has been edited, and clients received their product (basically completed the project) the 1st external and portable gets cleaned from all of the unedited/raw images while the final edited version stays on 3 drives. A year after event/session, unedited images get erased from the 2nd external. Meanwhile, every final project get written on to the CD/DVD. The memory cards only get reformatted after the gig has been edited and backed up onto the disk.
Granted digital space is cheaper now, I found this method working well for me.

I only delete the really bad one.

I store my photos in a RAID setup and back it up to a local external USB3 drive. And I make another copy to another HDs and store them in my work place. I think it's time for me to bring one of the drive home to update it.

My rule of thumb is never delete the original at less if it not a good picture

I shoot in both RAW and JBEG. I go through and delete anything out of focus. I make copes of any RAW file that I edit and only edit the copy. I create files such as birds, insects, animal and so on.

I keep client files indefinitely, though that may change as I get busier.

For personal photos, I keep the RAWs that have no serious technical flaws, blinks, etc.

I save all of my RAW files and yes, it does take up a ton of space. I will however go back into my files every so often and delete the "unworthy" images but for storage purposes. Coming from someone who just built a computer, go with the larger HD. I did a raid setup (2 hard drives that are 100% exactly mirrored so if one goes down I have a direct copy) and have an extra hard-drive as well (3 total). I currently have around 1.75TB of space and will soon upgrade to 3-5. Also, dropbox.com is worth considering, 100GB for $9.99/mo. I use this to store all my clients photos (high res jpegs). I tell my clients that after 6mo I will delete and they can be held for a a small fee but I never delete them + never charge.

Last edited:
I keep all RAW's on the SD cards, but do not keep them on the computer. i keep the keeper RAW's on the computer.

I keep everything. I've still got negatives from 1947.:D

I do keep all my raw files, but I only have about 150 gigs of photos, so it's not much of a problem. I delete about 70-80% of my shots, leaving mostly only the ones I am really satisfied with (the percentage is bigger with family shots). I do occasionally rework my old shots, but even if I didn't... they take too little space to care.

I dump my RAWs in a bucket on Amazon Glacier, continuing a tradition where I used to keep all my unprocessed/uncut 35mm scans on S3 in case I ever needed them.

Nearly 1tb of data costs me like £10 a month or smth.

Most reactions

Back