Do you know your style?

Zen1300

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1) Do you limit yourself to one type of photography - landscapes, portraits, street, nature, etc. ?

2) Have you found you prefer one over the other?

3) Do you wish you were better at one over the other?

My answers:

1) No. I don’t limit. I like to try all different types.

2) I prefer to shoot animals. Capturing behavior.

3) I am drawn towards street photography for the same reasons as animals, but social anxiety keeps me from going out and risking the potential conflict with people. Times have changed.

Good questions.

1) I don't limit myself, but too new to be comfortable in all areas. Still a lot to learn.

2) Yes, nature/animals. I deal with people all day. Animals expect or demand nothing from me. A walk in the park or woods takes me away from it all.

3) I'd like to learn more about landscape. It kind of goes hand in hand with nature, since I'm already out and about.

I tried landscape photography years ago, did not like it. Did all the wildlife lot and loved it, since changing to a different camera set up and system I now love my people and band/singers photography.

I am no good at photography of people in portrait settings
My style is, Out of the box, jump on the box and do my own thing!
I look to see what is NOT being done on the local level and try something different

Interesting questions.

1) Do you limit yourself to one type of photography - landscapes, portraits, street, nature, etc. ?
No, I photograph just about anything.

No....BUT I shoot film and I prefer black-n-white over color as I love to print/manipulate in the darkroom. On the other hand I do prefer abstract photography when shooting color, mainly cross-process (E-6 through C-41).

Not really, fairly comfortable with all types of photography. Although I despise shooting portraits (not a people person).

I guess my style would be "fine art" black-n-white and abstract color photography.

While I do not want to limit myself, I know where I am weak so tend not to do those, so in a sense I am limiting based on my skills.
At some point I would like to address those areas and try to improve on them.

Portrature is HARD for me.
Composition is HARD for me. I have to work at it.
Both of these I want to address and improve on.

'm a portrait photographer.
I might do some landscape or travel when I'm on vacation...I do some nature stuff (on my phone) while walking the dog.
I do dance photos for fun...
but I am really just a portrait photographer.
I'm terrible at still life.

Yes but not intentionally. I just like nature/landscape/bird shots and nothing else really inspires me. No interest in portraits or street whatsoever.
Zen1300 said:
2)Have you found you prefer one over the other?
Yes I pretty much only shoot birds and landscapes.
Zen1300 said:
Not really, I wish I was better at editing. I've been watching some youtube stuff about working on landscapes in ACR and I think I'm going that way.

--------------------------------

1) No, I like to try my hand in most areas but not formal portrait/studio work.

2) I'm too eclectic for this but do tend to go through phases of different photographic styles depending on mood and opportunity.

3) Not really, no. However, street/documentary is something I'd like to have more time for and become more practised in.

I think I lean slightly more towards B&W these days, anyway I certainly do more of it than I used to. Back in the day it was all colour as far as my eye was concerned. This development may be because I've become more aware of form and line and find B&W very good for emphasising the relationship between light and shadow.

1) No, I like to try my hand in most areas but not formal portrait/studio work.

2) I'm too eclectic for this but do tend to go through phases of different photographic styles depending on mood and opportunity.

3) Not really, no. However, street/documentary is something I'd like to have more time for and become more practised in.

I think I lean slightly more towards B&W these days, anyway I certainly do more of it than I used to. Back in the day it was all colour as far as my eye was concerned. This development may be because I've become more aware of form and line and find B&W very good for emphasising the relationship between light and shadow.

I grew up in a darkroom as a kid, so I started out with black and white. It still speaks to me. I haven't dabbled in it as much since the digital - taking the occasional photo and converting it.

I don't do "formal portraits." My shots aren't exactly candids though.
Lively portraits? Ambient light dance photos...
here's examples of the epitome of my style

Attachments

• DSC_2809-Edit.jpg
    DSC_2809-Edit.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC_8649-Edit-Edit-3.jpg
    DSC_8649-Edit-Edit-3.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_4649.jpg
    DSC_4649.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 323

Nope, I'm like a leaf in a hurricane, never know which direction I might go.

I prefer in studio, because of the control it gives over the light. I find my patience lacking in the field when I have to wait for it.

Not at the expense of one over the other. I constantly try to learn new techniques in post processing.

I suppose " eclectic " would be a description. I have enjoyed looking at/taking photos for decades, but am only a hobbyist and am quite happy with that. No need in taking something I enjoy and making it work. I like sharing anything connected with nature, whether it be an animal or plant, a view of nature, or people enjoying the moment in nature. I admire the studio portraits some can do, but probably have less desire to do that type than any other.

No, not just one type of photography, but there are certainly types that don't interest me so I do limit myself to only the kinds of photography that do interest me. I don't care about portraiture or event photography, for example.

I don't like having to manipulate an image too much, either before taking the image or after, so for this reason, I'm not a fan of studio work (or of much post-processing). I prefer capturing images that are already there, with light doing what it does on its own without my directing it.

So I suppose for this reason, I am drawn more towards sort of 'found' images, both indoors or outdoors: still life, landscape, nature, cityscape, architecture, abstract/graphical. I used to do more street photography, but became somewhat uncomfortable with it and mostly stopped.

I suppose I would like to improve my ability to more reliably capture whatever moment I am interested in photographing, regardless of genre. I would like to more consistently capture the image or feeling I see in my mind in addition to what I see with my eyes. I am drawn to making images that evoke emotions, and I would like to be better at doing that, period.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back