Do you know your style?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Zen1300, May 24, 2019.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    1) Do you limit yourself to one type of photography - landscapes, portraits, street, nature, etc. ?

Nope, I'm like a leaf in a hurricane, never know which direction I might go.

2) Have you found you prefer one over the other?

I prefer in studio, because of the control it gives over the light. I find my patience lacking in the field when I have to wait for it.

3) Do you wish you were better at one over the other?
    Not at the expense of one over the other. I constantly try to learn new techniques in post processing.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dean_Gretsch

Dean_Gretsch Always looking... Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I suppose " eclectic " would be a description. I have enjoyed looking at/taking photos for decades, but am only a hobbyist and am quite happy with that. No need in taking something I enjoy and making it work. I like sharing anything connected with nature, whether it be an animal or plant, a view of nature, or people enjoying the moment in nature. I admire the studio portraits some can do, but probably have less desire to do that type than any other.

• Like Like x 3
  3. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, not just one type of photography, but there are certainly types that don't interest me so I do limit myself to only the kinds of photography that do interest me. I don't care about portraiture or event photography, for example.

I don't like having to manipulate an image too much, either before taking the image or after, so for this reason, I'm not a fan of studio work (or of much post-processing). I prefer capturing images that are already there, with light doing what it does on its own without my directing it.

So I suppose for this reason, I am drawn more towards sort of 'found' images, both indoors or outdoors: still life, landscape, nature, cityscape, architecture, abstract/graphical. I used to do more street photography, but became somewhat uncomfortable with it and mostly stopped.

I suppose I would like to improve my ability to more reliably capture whatever moment I am interested in photographing, regardless of genre. I would like to more consistently capture the image or feeling I see in my mind in addition to what I see with my eyes. I am drawn to making images that evoke emotions, and I would like to be better at doing that, period.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  4. zaroba

zaroba TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1. Landscape/Nature
    2. pretty strictly limited. I'll normally skip taking a good picture if there is anything man-made that can't be cropped out, even if it's small things like a fence in the background. I want the pics to appear as natural as possible. Only exception is if I am taking pics of old buildings which normally involves some type of nature taking over.
    3. who wouldn't want to be better at what they like? As for other things like portiats and street, no thanks, they don't interest me the slightest bit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Photo Lady

Photo Lady Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Very Good questions and very interesting posts.

1) I don't limit myself, but i am still new to be comfortable in all areas ..i have so much more to learn.. . so the challenge is always new and fun..The only one i find extremely boring is still life.. or portraits of objects.. I have done many portraits of my animals.. . which is my all time favorite..

2) Nature/ wildlife animals is my ultimate enjoyment in photography... I am a true nature lover and lover of all living things.. so i find nature photos not only a learning experience but a fun experience... I am at total peace and contentment with my camera and wildlife..I am so happy i discovered this passion.. because i do not think anything else can compare.

3) I am learning more as i go about landscape The clouds and sky the trees and water scenes are thrilling to see .. so many many different unique scenes on any given day.. .to me it is all about outdoors...everything outside is alive and makes me happy that i am too....

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Today I took photos of my jeans *LOL*

Attached Files:

7. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Do you limit yourself to one type of photography - landscapes, portraits, street, nature, etc. ?

Yes, but only for that day. I go out with a purpose.

Yes, street. I also like to shoot events, like steam engine / tractor shows.

Probably astro, I prefer to get sleep so I can perform my regular job even though a night might be clear for it. I have to get up early.

• Like Like x 2
  8. texxter

texxter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    1) Do you limit yourself to one type of photography - landscapes, portraits, street, nature, etc. ?

Yes in that I don't shoot everything. For example I don't have an interest in macro or wildlife. I gravitate towards people and travel photography.

Yes, definitely.

I don't want to get better at photography I am not attracted to, but I want to get better at photographing what moves me.

9. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

1. Not religiously.
    2. I like making photos of people.
    3. One can always get better.

But for the record - NONE of these questions have anything to do with actual PHOTOGRAPHIC STYLE, as it was implied in the thread title.

10. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1. I love photography in general but for work I specialize in weddings and environmental portraits (so I photograph people). I wouldn't say I limit myself but I specialize in photographing people.
    2. I prefer to photograph people.
    3. No because as long as I like what I do then I'm ok with doing what I do even though it may not be perceived as better.

11. Jeff G

Jeff G -Amateur Shutterbug- Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My "style" is hodgepodge. ;)

I tend to shoot whatever is easy for me, if it requires planning or a lot of setup, I don't usually make the effort. Time is at a premium and I am inherently lazy. :BangHead: :biglaugh:

I enjoy nature shots the most, be it birds, macro, or whatever, it is good to get out and shoot, really reminds me that there is a world outside, and helps me to appreciate life. Sounds kind of corny but it's true, so there!

I think I improving in general is a good thing, but if there is one thing I have learned about myself, once I get good at something, I like to learn something else, it's good to have a new challenge occasionally. :icon_camera:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I take whatever presents itself or pops into my head. I may read an article about some type of photography or see an unusual photo that triggers an idea. No rhyme or reason needed.