Do you leave your camera on?

Railphotog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On another forum a while ago there was a thread asking members when they left their digital cameras powered on. I was quite surprised to see many posters saying they never turned them off. Even when put in the camera bag. I assume most DSLRs don't consume much power when they are indeed left on, but its not something that I am comfortable with.

Maybe its something from back in my film days, when the camera batteries were fairly expensive non rechargeable types. Anyone remember the so-called "silver shortage" back in the 1980s or (?) when the price of film and batteries made with silver compounds skyrocketed? I recall a 6v battery for my Canon AE-1 and AE-1Program cost me here in Canada around $20.00. Perhaps that's why I always power off my DSLR even when I'm not actually taking photos.

Anyone else have a comment?

When I'm sauntering around, the camera stays on. When it goes in the bag, it goes off.

They turn themselves off, mine goes off after about 20 seconds I think. It doesn't seem to consume power as I've never had a problem with pulling a dead camera out of my bag.

I turn it off as soon as the shot(s) are dumped to card. Only turn it on to compose AF, take a picture and check the histogram.

........ mine goes off after about 20 seconds I think...........

Holy cow! That would drive me nuts! I could easily spend 60 seconds composing the scene, zooming in & out, moving the tripod, taking a light reading..........

Auto power down can be disabled on most as a custom function, though by default its set to on - I think I extended the time my 7D stays on and does not enter powersave mode.

As for me if the camera is out to be used its on - if its in the bag its off; no point having power trickle away or getting random snapshots of the inside of the lens-cap; asides which getting the camera out of the back the turning it on part is the quick side, so I don't lose any time getting it out. Though I suspect those that shoot from shoulder bags might well disagree and store their camera on because of the much faster removal from a shoulder back than from a backpack which is what I generally use.

Same as the others here! I usually only use the power switch to turn off my 7D when I put it in the bag. If that make me miss a shot, it is simply because taking the camera out of the bag takes much longer time than the camera use to power up! :p So...yeah..when walking around it stays on!

They turn themselves off, mine goes off after about 20 seconds I think. It doesn't seem to consume power as I've never had a problem with pulling a dead camera out of my bag.
Not all cameras do that.

I have mine set up to turn off the metering and some other things after 6 seconds, but other wise the camera is still on until I turn the on/off switch to off. Nikon's D300, Auto Meter Off can be set to 4, 6, 8, 16, 30 seconds 1, 5, 10, or 30 minutes, or to No limit.

I turn mine off when it goes back in the bag. Batteries have a finite lifetime. Leaving a camera on 7-24 just reduces that life.

Depends on how long the cameras off. When my cameras are in for more prolonged storage, I take the batteries out. Right now the only camera that Has batteries in it is one of my F100's.

turn if off when it's in the bag - when it's in my hand, or over my shoulder it's on.... can't take photos when it's off with the lens cap on!

if its in my bag they are off.

like imagemaker said, if your holding it, its shoudl be on and ready to use..

I dont see the point on leaving it on while its in a bag.

My camera is only on while I am taking a shot. Once that shot is written fully, the camera goes off. It's a habit of mine now to switch it off as I pull my finger off the shutter, and vice versa. I only have to charge the camera about once a month (D300s w/(2) EN-EL3e), unless I'm doing video or time lapses, of course.

Mark

Mine stays on while I am shooting after I think I am done shooting for awhile I will turn it off. I only have to charge my batteries maybe once a month but I do have a battery pack.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back