Do you look at the histogram all the times.

Let's take a poll. Those of us that are 'hands in the air, roller coaster types, fly by seat of our pants, jump in the car with no map' and do not use histogram, vote yes.
the rest can leave very detailed analysis of histogram.
kidding, altho, I am the roller coaster tpe, I am trying to learn my camera functions :)
Nancy

Let's take a poll. Those of us that are 'hands in the air, roller coaster types, fly by seat of our pants, jump in the car with no map' and do not use histogram, vote yes.
the rest can leave very detailed analysis of histogram.
kidding, altho, I am the roller coaster tpe, I am trying to learn my camera functions :)
Nancy

OK -- I'm definitely not the 'hands in the air, roller coaster type, fly by seat of my pants, jump in the car with no map' type. That's why I never look at the camera histogram.

Joe

I don't look at it because it's based on the JPEG preview and not the RAW itself.

I usually start my shooting session with two manual readings using my incident light meter - readings from the primary light source, and then the shadow area. This gives me the dynamic range I'm going to be dealing with, and the basic exposure for the highlights. I usually take one or two test shots (specifically with the highlights and shadows), and check the histogram pattern to see that all the important stuff is within the camera's dynamic range. Once this is done, I concentrate on shooting and check the histogram if/when the light or overall tonality of the scene changes.

The histogram is only useful for a sort of intermediate degree of control. If you're me, you're pretty loose about exposure. If you're Joe you're extremely precise about exposure. Neither of us use the "informative, useful, but only to a degree" histogram (much -- in my case, I do glance at it from time to time).

I use Magic Lantern and therefore check histogram _before_ taking the picture

Is it safe to run Magic Lantern in a dslr?

No. after a while the Lantern causes the sensor to overheat and smoke. Not to mention that if you set the magic parameters wrong, your bank account get magic withdrawals (funny how it never works the other way) when the dates equal 3, 9, 17, and 27. Plus, Canon gets to sue you for violating their intellectual property.

J/K. :D

I've used it on a number of Canon cameras, and all it did was help. It runs off the card, and is loaded into camera memory in parallel to the Canon's native firmware. If you don't like it, put in a non-bootable SD card, and Canon firmware will load on boot-up by itself.

what is chimping?

Looking at the results of every image right after it's taken.

Take a shot, look at the monitor.....Take another shot, look at the monitor......Take another shot, look at the monitor.....

rarely, these 3.2 inch screen are perfect to see if you blown some highlights, and with the amount of data you can bring back shooting raw, you have to blow highlight pretty stupidly bad to not be able to get the details.

What do you think of Eric Kim's article? I kindly disagree. I still have to check the screen for mistake and correct the setting for the next shootings.
Yeah, I disagree with most of the reasons he stated, BUT he is a street shooter so that makes a difference too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back