Do you look at the histogram all the times.

How often I look depends on the situation.
If its changing lighting where I or the subject is shifting in lighting conditions then I'm more apt to look at it more often to ensure that I'm shifting the exposure just enough to ensure that I'm getting enough light without overexposing. It's also good as a quick check of frame coverage.

That said there are many situations where you just don't have the time or its not practical and you have to judge that for yourself. It's a balancing act where if you use the histogram on the back of the camera you want to check; but you also have to balance that against keeping your eye in the viewfinder ready for the next shot.

What do you think of Eric Kim's article? I kindly disagree. I still have to check the screen for mistake and correct the setting for the next shootings.

Is he that young street shooter kid whose largely average portfolio seems to make people want to spend $1000 for one of his workshops?

Last edited:
I look at the histogram in the bedroom with the door closed when the wife is gone.

What do you think of Eric Kim's article? I kindly disagree. I still have to check the screen for mistake and correct the setting for the next shootings.

Is he that young street shooter kid who's largely average portfolio seems to make people want to spend $1000 for one of his workshops?

Well, yeah, but that doesn't narrow it down at all.

Not all the time. Only pictures that I needed that will not have over or under exposure.

I think Eric Kim is one of the photographers is narrow minded. He wants to have in his way and teaches in his way. He prefers compact camera instead of dslr. He doesn't care about the safety for himself and others while shooting street photography.

Well on subject I am another no I never use it. Never have, probably never will, just like my Live View mode, and video if my camera had it. The beauty of taking myself out of the upgrade fever is that I know what my camera will do, and how to get what I want with it. If I know a scene is going to be beyond its DR then I shoot a series to get the details at various exposures, and use HDR in post. That is also the only thing I use HDR for. It is like stacking negatives in the darkroom back in the good old days.

Always!!! The histogram is a powerful tool, the more you use it, the more you will want to use it and the better your photos will be.

Now, I shoot mostly wildlife and landscapes. If I am in a situation where I know the lighting will be consistent, I use the histogram to get the exposure I want, then I won't look every single time.

I find the histogram helpful since I am still learning and not quite comfortable with the settings I choose. If I am shooting people shots of family in the same spot I'll take a few test photos and check for blinkies & the histogram. It is very helpful when I am setting up for time lapse using a ND9 filter. The screen on the back is difficult to see the test shot when outside.

Ok, I'm gonna piss people off here. Despite the fact that the histogram is a very useful and powerful tool, I will argue that using it TOO much will stunt your continued development, because you start relying on IT as opposed to internalizing the knowledge of which combinations you should use at what times. Ideally, you should know what an appropriate combination would be for any given situation, and you use the histogram to verify/confirm your educated guess. It's a lot like those people who use the GPS to get themselves from point A to point B - if you only follow the turn directions, you rarely build up the mental map of what the road network looks like and where things are in relation to each other. When I took a boating navigation course, the instructors strongly discouraged us using from the GPS tools to navigate, emphasizing the use of charts, dead reckoning, and sighting to ensure we had the mental tools to find our location and desired direction without the "cheat" aids that the GPS gives us. So, learn to use it, and then go beyond.

Ok, I'm gonna piss people off here. Despite the fact that the histogram is a very useful and powerful tool, I will argue that using it TOO much will stunt your continued development, because you start relying on IT as opposed to internalizing the knowledge of which combinations you should use at what times. Ideally, you should know what an appropriate combination would be for any given situation, and you use the histogram to verify/confirm your educated guess. It's a lot like those people who use the GPS to get themselves from point A to point B - if you only follow the turn directions, you rarely build up the mental map of what the road network looks like and where things are in relation to each other. When I took a boating navigation course, the instructors strongly discouraged us using from the GPS tools to navigate, emphasizing the use of charts, dead reckoning, and sighting to ensure we had the mental tools to find our location and desired direction without the "cheat" aids that the GPS gives us. So, learn to use it, and then go beyond.

I'm not pissed off, but then I don't use it.

Joe

If I only need to go someplace ONCE or TWICE, I use the GPS. No need to 'memorize' how to get there if I'm never going to return.

If I only need to go someplace ONCE or TWICE, I use the GPS. No need to 'memorize' how to get there if I'm never going to return.

Hey Sparky, you need one of these:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pftt. you two guys are so beyond needing the histogram, it's not even funny. You're NOT the target of my suggestion. Stop ruining my arguments with facts!

When I was in elementary school, teachers didn't let me use a calculator. When I was in high school and college, teachers encouraged me to use a calculator. There is nothing wrong to use a histogram.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back