Do you look at the histogram all the times.

[h=2]Do you look at the histogram all the times.[/h]
No. I only check the histogram on the rear LCD if the light has changed enough that I have had to change an exposure triad setting by a substantial amount.

Only on the first few pictures unless the light is changing... but I mainly shoot outside sports so the Sun isn't shifting that often.

I also wear sunglasses half the time while shooting so the histogram is the only basis to see what I have without removing my hat and glasses which ain't happening.

I do have trouble from time to time that requires I watch the histogram when taking pictures on a bright day with a team wearing black jersey's and shorts... I will usually focus on their clothing and just adjust the EV+ a bit.

I am not really sure what it means but I like to pretend I do so I seem smart.

A histogram is a small chart that can be shown on the camera monitor. It allows you to better judge your exposure.

That said, When I'm shooting out in the field, I check the histo first. If it looks good, then I'll check composition and focus. My monitor is set up to look like this:

SampleMonitor.jpg~original

If I'm shooting in very consistent lighting, then I'll forgo chimping the histo. As soon as I detect a lighting change, then it's back to checking the histo.

The only time I don't normally watch the histo is when I'm shooting in a controlled lighting situation (i.e., studio work).

That's a very Purdy chart.:mrgreen:

I use histograms all the time. You cannot always trust your cameras display, especially in the field. But you can trust a histogram.

This is especially important for highlight control and proper shadow exposure in landscape photography.

Depending on the perceived dynamic range of the scene. If it looks within the sensor limits, I never check it. If it is too wide then yes. (Especially key tones.)

I'm with Joe. Never, the colors and charts screw me up, what with all the peaks and valleys I've seen on my shots. I prefer the Blinkies (highlights) every once in a while.

I use it a lot, but not all the time. It makes post processing faster if I know where I need to be.

I use it a lot, but not all the time. It makes post processing faster if I know where I need to be.

Don't you think that the post processing is a different animal than what the OP is asking? I believe he is talking about 'chimping'.

Don't you think that the post processing is a different animal than what the OP is asking? I believe he is talking about 'chimping'.
Yes kundalini. If I use my histogram while I shoot it makes post processing easier, because my straight out of the cameras are closer to where I want them to be right from the start.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back