Do you need a certain quality of equipment to be a professional?

If you happen to think it's necessary to drag everyone through that again, I suppose that's your right, but I will be here to poke fun at you for doing it. :)
:biglaugh:

Why is having a open discussion, and wanting people's opinions trollish?
BECAUSE
Apparently it's a pretty hot button here. I'm just sayin'............
If you had bothered to search, you would've know. Again, I'm just sayin'........

Thank goodness you let me know my opinion mattered. Without the supporting words of some random person on the internet, my entire psyche would be in tatters!!!

:lol:

*headdesk*
I don't really think your opinion does matter. Now, if Ken Rockwell wasn't out there, then it might... but his opinion usurps everyone elses mojo. So, if you really want an opinion that matters, you'll have to get rid of Ken Rockwell.

Just a thought.

Oh, and should I wear boxers or briefs? Since Ken hasn't chimed in on this subject, your opinion does matter.

go commando and solve the dilemma.

Edit: ****e. Five posts in the time I wrote a single line? Wha? I must be a slow reader.

Edit 2: Looks like I just discovered that this forum automatically censors "bad words". Hmmm.

ahhh... I love TPF. boxers... ken rockwell comments... various people poking newbies for not searching... :lol: Good times... good times... :lol:

Ok, enough entertainment for one day. I'm gonna go play Xbox.

Hi Kundalini!

*Chris goes poof.*

some photography can only be achieved by using higher end cameras and lenses and what not to achieve real crisp images as well. Say for instance sporting events indoors. Say i wanna shoot roller hockey indoors under reallllllllllyyyyyyyy bad fluorescent lighting. A camera say for the sake of argument *canon 5dm2*:lol: with a 70-200 f2.8 lense will achieve much better results than a xti or one of the entry level dslr's. But thats just in this case, another similar event would be something like indoor cheerleading. Of course both events without flash.

So sometimes it will warrant to have the better equip, which will lead to higher pricing, so on and so forth.

As always, the most logical choice is usually right. Let demand and economics decide the answer.

sorry is this the philosphy class? i swear it said photography on the door.....

Philosophy is EVERYWHERE... and FUN!

I don't really think your opinion does matter. Now, if Ken Rockwell wasn't out there, then it might... but his opinion usurps everyone elses mojo. So, if you really want an opinion that matters, you'll have to get rid of Ken Rockwell.

Just a thought.

Oh, and should I wear boxers or briefs? Since Ken hasn't chimed in on this subject, your opinion does matter.

You all are hilarious. Did you know that Ken Rockwell once shot his kids soccer game using a pinhole camera, and still had no motion blur? It was a Nikon pinhole camera, that's why.

BTW, the answer to your question, is commando. :)

If you happen to think it's necessary to drag everyone through that again, I suppose that's your right, but I will be here to poke fun at you for doing it. :)
:biglaugh:

Why is having a open discussion, and wanting people's opinions trollish?
BECAUSE
Apparently it's a pretty hot button here. I'm just sayin'............
If you had bothered to search, you would've know. Again, I'm just sayin'........

You need to stop posting cause you make too much sense and make me look bad. That's all I'm sayin. :)

BTW, I did learn a lot from this (both about photographicphilosophy and internet forums), so this thread IMO is a plus.

TL:DR

Technically a professional is someone who profits from their work therefore a newb with a 2.0MP camera phone with rubbish IQ could become a professional if he gets people to buy his work
But it is very unlikely as us humans are attracted to pretty and fluent images with bright colours

but a Canon 450D (rebel / Kiss) could easily be used for Professional highend industry work, the reason most "Professionals" use dearer camera's is, yes better Quality and more functions, but just for the fact that a canon 1ds II is like a trophy to say "i have made it in the photography world"
same with 5D II and 1dIII

a phrase that isnt, used enough is, it isn't the gear that makes an image it is the person behind the camera

TL:DR

Technically a professional is someone who profits from their work therefore a newb with a 2.0MP camera phone with rubbish IQ could become a professional if he gets people to buy his work
But it is very unlikely as us humans are attracted to pretty and fluent images with bright colours

but a Canon 450D (rebel / Kiss) could easily be used for Professional highend industry work, the reason most "Professionals" use dearer camera's is, yes better Quality and more functions, but just for the fact that a canon 1ds II is like a trophy to say "i have made it in the photography world"
same with 5D II and 1dIII

a phrase that isnt, used enough is, it isn't the gear that makes an image it is the person behind the camera

The concept of your camera being a status symbol and symbol of your success never crossed my mind. To have the super-professional camera is kinda an alpha-photographer thing, like, "I take such good photos I can afford the highest quality equipment."

Wow, never thought of that!

But it does depend quite a bit on the camera. If the photographer's vision is to make a subject a focal point with sharp focus, and shallow depth of field, he cannot do that with a Canon PowerShot SD750, can he. The photographer and his/her creative vision IS hampered by his/her equipment in this example. This is one reason CHDK is available for the Canon point-n-shoots. To expand the potential of a tool that was limited by the manufacture.

Granted, the tools don't make the artist, but the quality of the tools DOES matter.
Quality tools allow the artist more freedom precision to fully realize thier potential.

My response from http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ngs-make-better-photographer.html#post1610593

Being a professional is about your capabilities, not what equipment you own. I own top of the line professional gear, but I'm not embarrassed to say I'm a complete amateur.

That was very humble tharmsen. :thumbup:

A good photographer can make good photos with just about any camera. That's not to say you can do anything with any camera; the type of results you can get will differ. An SLR is more capable than a point-and-shoot, a point-and-shoot is more capable than a pinhole camera, and so on. Other than, that, better equipment mostly just makes the process faster and easier.

It's a joke man. He's the Chuck Norris of the photography world.
You got it wrong, man. Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts :lol:

Last edited:
Being a professional is about your capabilities, not what equipment you own. I own top of the line professional gear, but I'm not embarrassed to say I'm a complete amateur.

Modesty is a virtue, but confidence is indispensable. You're better than you say you are, tharmsen.

Aight, If somone who hasent thought about what equipment makes a proffessional photographer, how are they to search it? so the need for asking a question that has been discussed a million times over (only to the members who have been here a while) is needed!

To answer the OP question, as long as you can produce great photos it doesent matter what equipment you have! BUT!.........

If you take 2 photographers who are equally good. The first one has a nice setup and nice equipment and the second guy is using bed sheets and cardboard box reflectors, wich one would you go to? Even though they are both equal, people prefer to do business with more proffesional looking setups.

man this thread was hilarious... now where is that pop-corn icon :popcorn: ahh there it is!

maybe good gear doesnt make you a photographer but i would look very COOL with a Nikon d700 gripped and a 70-200 f2.8 atached :)... i'm just sayin...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back