Do you shoot for free?

Bossy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do you get over the hump of just starting out? Do you charge to build your portfolio? Do you do it for free? Do you reel in everyone you know to get something up and charge everyone else?

I've been shooting for while, have a formal education in photography and just moved to a completely new area where I know one other family so networking is rough. My portfolio is old, I haven't shot strangers for over a year due to some life happenings, and I've also decided the direction I want to go in photography so a lot of my old work doesn't apply to the genre. I'm just trying to figure out how to build up a clientele without screwing myself, since I know I am valuable.

I still have to do other stuff on the business side, tax and licenses etc, but I'm not going to get that ball rolling until I figure out if I even have it in me to get a business going.I also only want to do it part time or less, a couple shoots a month really.

So how did you do it?

Check out model mayhem. You may be able to get some models that will trade time for prints. If not, you can think of paying some to build up your portfolio or you could do some for free.

I just saw this week a suggested book on here "How to start a home-based photography business by Kenn Oberrecht.

I want to shoot mostly families, laid back portraits, would models really help that? I have a few model shoots already I can add to my port if it would, I just assumed I should stay in my "niche". And models wont really be great word of mouth to help build the business, right?

I guess photos build your business and models need to be in photos (of the type you want to shoot).

A model doesn't necessarily mean scantily clothed, full makeup and pouting!

Models can help your profile if your shooting in your style. not sure what group fit into "laid back portraits" but models can be anywhere from babies to senior citizens. hook up with a male and female model and an 18 year old model and poof instant family photos for your portfolio. I know some models who have kids and you can do sessions with the two of them. again instant family. Not only that models have friends and families as well.

When I started out which wasn't very long ago I would should anyone I could find. As I have progressed And work is starting to pick up, I still shoot for free but I am a lot more selective about who I shoot for free. Some of my best customers have come from models I have shot for free. Shot a model friend Shaye then a few months later her mom is calling needing senior photos of her son, then a week after those photos were done the mom's sister called me because mom recommended me. Have another model that I am doing a boudoir shoot for next week and she told her friend about me and I am now working on getting her a date worked in to shoot. Pick the right models. do a good job and they will tell everyone they know about you.

Quite often. But it's not without careful consideration and without good reason, shooting for free doesn't have to mean offering value for no return.

Often the times I've shot for free have become paying jobs.

One example was for nail polish supplier, they wanted a specific result and I wasn't sure it could be done. So I met with them and got their requirements, spent an afternoon shooting and experimenting. I showed them my results and experience and we all agreed though possible it's not feasible for them in terms of cost. While that specific inquiry didn't lead to work, they liked my professionalism and saw some other services I offered. I wasn't confident I could deliver on the original request, that's why I offered my time for free. I was however, confident that once they met me and saw me work, I'd be able to leave a positive impression, and it opens and opportunity for a conversion to a sale. They have now booked me for shooting another project.

Another example is last year I responded to an ad to be a set photographer for an indie film. Free work. I'd never been on set before, wasn't booked that day, thought I'd be a great experience and also a networking opportunity. Long story short I ended up making a great connection with the make-up artist whom I now work with regularly, and several of the actors on set have done or scheduled head shot sessions with me.

In terms of portfolio building, when I started I saw it as a game where I had to "level" up.

Model Mayhem is a great resource for networking with creatives, but I needed 6 shots with people in them to get approved. So I started off answering ads on Kijiji to build portfolios for local make-up artists. I took those photos to get approval for a MM account. From there I opened casting calls for TFP shoots. When you're work isn't as good the models that agree to work with you won't be as good either. But I find that to be a great challenge, when you learn to direct and pose inexperienced or bad models, think of what you can do with great ones.

I've since built enough of a strong portfolio off MM models TFP shoots, that I'm getting a physical portfolio printed so I can approach agencies to get approval for test shoots. I've gotten to the point where I'm confident my work, but where I'm limited is the range and experience of models. So in order for me to get to the next step I need agency models.

Free work is great. Just be mindful of why you're doing it, figure out what you can offer and what you can gain. Then assess if its worth your time. When you have no portfolio and little experience, free shoots are great, because you can be free to experiment and fail without worry. You really shouldn't be experimenting or failing on a clients dollar. That's what free shoots are for.

Last edited:
I don't always shoot for free but when I do I usually end up drunk regardless on somebody else's tab.

LMAO! Depending on how much you drink you could be making a killing value wise. I like it...I should start posting work for beer ads

I will do shoots for free. When I do, I am very selective about the subject(s) and locations so that I am sure it will benefit my portfolio.

I will shoot for trade, not for free. If someone doesn't have the coin, I will trade off advertising in their magazine, or take product. I do get a lot of people that ask me for photos and are surprised when I tell them that they have to buy them. They assume I give things away. I just tell them "When you stop at the grocery store on the way home, just take what you need and walk out without paying" It's the same thing.

Let me add that I do shoots for free when *I* need specific shots for my portfolio. Its not like I just do free shoots for people who ask ;)

I also only want to do it part time or less, a couple shoots a month really.
Why do you want to start a photography business? Income? Fun? Tax deductions?

I don't think you can "get over the hump" only doing "a couple of shoots a month".
By shooting so infrequently how do you develop and maintain marketing momentum?
You won't be able to leverage (take advantage of) any word of mouth (WOM) advertising clients you do shoot generate.
Which begs the question - How do you plan to advertise, market, and promote your "part-time, or less, a couple shoots a month really" business?

The same applies to your portfolio. How do you plan on getting your portfolio in front of prospective clients?

It costs many times more to generate a new customer than it costs to get a previous customer to return.
It seems your proposed "a couple shoots a month" business model would require almost constant generation of new clients.

I have often recommended those wanting to build a portfolio do so by advertising a limited time Portfolio Building promotion.
Clients see your normal rates, but are given a substantial "Portfolio Building" discount off of your normal rates.
That way if they return after the promotion has ended they will know the discount will not apply.

Another benefit of doing a promotion is it's a 'call to action' because the promotion is for a limited time. If they snooze, they lose.

By only doing a couple shoots a month it would take a substantial amount of time for you to build a portfolio in that way.
But by using models to build a portfolio you're not generating any 'buzz' or customer generated WOM advertising.

In summary, IMO your major concern should be your proposed business model. I doubt it's sustainable if you only shoot a couple of times a month.

Thanks everyone :)

Keith, Im not sure why it wouldn't be sustainable, its not every photographers goal to work full time.

How do you plan to advertise, market, and promote your "part-time, or less, a couple shoots a month really" business?

Most reactions

Back