Do you use FILTERS? - What does each filter do?

ATVrider43

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I myself and I'm sure a ton of others would like to know OR learn more about filters and what each filter's purpose is.

Here are just some of the filters I've come to know some things about.... PLEASE ADD TO THIS LIST AND DESCRIPTIONS AND/OR EXAMPLES

UV - Ultra Violet
CPL - Circular Polarizing
GND - Graduated Neutral Density
ND - Neutral Density

I routinely carry a CPL and VND. I have no GNDs. I also have some UVs for when I know I'll need to protect the lens from excessive dust or moisture.

I routinely carry a CPL and VND. I have no GNDs. I also have some UVs for when I know I'll need to protect the lens from excessive dust or moisture.

What is the difference between VND and GND? Is it the lighting the filter allows in or?

What is the difference between VND and GND? Is it the lighting the filter allows in or?

VND is a Variable Neutral Density. Reduces the same amount of light all across the filter, just that it's adjustable.

GND is Graduated Neutral Density. Part of it is clear, part of is is gray.

Oh oh I see, now is CPL the best filter when shooting a sky?

Not always.

If you shoot really wide-angle lenses, you can create dark bands in the sky.

No filter:

NoFilter.jpg

W/ CPL filter:

WithFilter.jpg

Depends on where the sun is on the sky actually. Can be used to enhance the blue/white contrast in the sky/clouds, but can also be used to filter out unwanted reflections (e.g. on wet leaves, when photographing through reflecting windows, or when photographing through a water surface).

CPL - Circular Polarizing - for the reasons given above.
GND - Graduated Neutral Density - to reduce contrast between bright and dark regions of the image (e.g. sky/foreground)
ND - Neutral Density - usually to be able to shoot longer exposures without having to go for an extremely high aperture.

Various red/orange/yellow filters for various effects in black and white photography.

Okay thanks guys :) I will be posting a SKY C&C so input is welcome :)

CPL, ND, GND.

I still shoot a little film, so I occasionally use UV (ultraviolet) and color filters for contrast (red, orange, yellow, green),

X0, X1, Y48, O56, R60. Light green, green separation, yellow, orange, red. Picked up yesterday at a Photorama show.

CPL and a ND (9 stop I believe?)

The ND is very dark, I use it mostly for daytime pictures of waterfalls, etc. I don't use it very often but I really like it when I do.

I bought good quality 77mm filters and I use adapters ($1 on ebay) to step them down to 67mm and 52mm. I have a CPL in 52mm as well but it is a cheaper one and I only use it when I am being lazy.

There are screw-on lens filters, in-camera menu filters, and postprocessing software filters. My favorite postprocessing filter is the sunshine filter which can quickly change a cloudy day into a pleasant sunshine day towards late afternoon. The colour pop filter is a great in-camera filter which brings out the bright colours in a shot. The GND and circular polarizing filter are the absolutely necessary screw-on filters.

skieur

There are screw-on lens filters, in-camera menu filters, and postprocessing software filters. My favorite postprocessing filter is the sunshine filter which can quickly change a cloudy day into a pleasant sunshine day towards late afternoon. The colour pop filter is a great in-camera filter which brings out the bright colours in a shot. The GND and circular polarizing filter are the absolutely necessary screw-on filters.

skieur

I'd say a screw-on GND is totally useless. Far better to go with a square slide-in style.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back