Do you use FILTERS? - What does each filter do?

filters went out with film and black & white TVs
bigthumb.gif

I have a few colored contrast filters for B&W film (totally obsolete for digital use - you can do the same thing quite easily in post, but with film they're just as good as they ever were), and a CPL, and a couple IR filters. And that's it.

I do want so ND filters though.

Oh yeah - I almost forgot. I also have a 6 point cross screen filter. I don't use it much, but when you want it, a filter is faster than trying to do it in PP.

There are screw-on lens filters, in-camera menu filters, and postprocessing software filters. My favorite postprocessing filter is the sunshine filter which can quickly change a cloudy day into a pleasant sunshine day towards late afternoon. The colour pop filter is a great in-camera filter which brings out the bright colours in a shot. The GND and circular polarizing filter are the absolutely necessary screw-on filters.

skieur

I'd say a screw-on GND is totally useless. Far better to go with a square slide-in style.

Oops! Agreed. I do use a square GND. (I should avoid typing faster than I think.:))

Still new to "serious" photography. I still only own a CPL and a 3 stop ND.

I would get a VND too, though, if I was settled on my current setup. I'm kind of unhappy with it, though, so I'm more focussed into looking for alternatives.

VND is a Variable Neutral Density, Reduces the same amount of light all across the filter, GND is Graduated Neutral Density. Part of it is clear, part of is is gray.
Yes ?

Why do you mention that ?

hey! wonderful information all around here. i am a newbie. i am using EFS 18-135 zoom 67mm mount on canon t3i.I am not sure if i can use Nikon 67 mm C Polarizing filterII with this lens. Do i need some kind of adapter? any suggestions please. thanks

hey! wonderful information all around here. i am a newbie. i am using EFS 18-135 zoom 67mm mount on canon t3i.I am not sure if i can use Nikon 67 mm C Polarizing filterII with this lens. Do i need some kind of adapter? any suggestions please. thanks

I dunno... using a Nikon filter on a Canon lens might create a black hole large enough to suck in the entire universe.

That, or it will work perfectly..... hard to tell. :lmao:

This shot is not good by most standards, but the CPL made this creek, which couldn't look good if it tried..a lot better.
_DSC0084_zps21b9c26c.jpg

Oil Filter, it's a Fram I think.

[...] Do i need some kind of adapter? [...]
No.

Filter threads are, fortunately, all the same, except for the various diameters.

If there would be stronger anti-monopoly laws, the same could apply for the flash slot (called something different, like assessoire shoe or something, but I'm too lazy to look it up) - while the base design of that slot stays the same, there are individual differences with advanced features, and Sony even tries to install a completely different version incompatible to anything else, for no good reaso whatsoever - and even the lens mount. While theres certainly need for a couple of lens mounts (full frame rangefinder, full frame SLR, Fourthird, Micro FourThird), there is absolutely no good reason why every, or almost every, company have their own version of these mounts.

Everyone forgets about IR filters... You still can't do that in post either.

I use a Wratten 88a on a full-range Olympus EP2 when i want IR only. Also have the 87c. A Magenta filter with a full-range camera gives some interesting results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back