do you use flash on infants?

Well. While I am here. Might as well leave some extra tips. I can't say I really photograph newborns but have shot maybe 4 or 5?

Photograph him/her within the first two weeks. a) the sleep more. b) they are easier to fold
If you can bring a beanbag. They are in almost all cases going to poo or pee (with my luck it is always on me). I actually use those dog training pads under all the blankets so if any of the above two do leak through it doesn't ruin anything
Ask your sister to warm the house by a couple of degrees if you are going to be photographing the baby naked.
Ask her to loosen or even better remove their diaper at least 30 minutes in advance to remove any diaper lines.
If possibly schedule it after when they are feeding IF the baby is on a schedule. If not no problemo. They are just more likely to fall asleep.

I always have a space heater. I use it to warm the beanbag/blanket before I put the newborn down and it warms the area a bit more so it is nice and cozy for the bub. I am usually sweating halfway through a session it is that warm in the area. Of course do NOT have the air blowing directly on them.

That's all I can think of.

KvnO, no, I was not talking about you. I understood the joke.. no worries! You did not offend me and hello to a fellow Michigander. I simply see a lot of very rude or snide comments on threads here from 'experienced' photographers, and I found Bitter Jeweler to be very sarcastic in response to my question but that is fine, there is a great ignore feature on this site and the awesome ability to move on and continue taking pictures and practicing with the camera.

Also Peanuts thank you for the great suggestions, luckily it is warming up here but will definitely use that space heater suggestion. I am so excited to try it out and will definitely be using your tips.

KvnO, no, I was not talking about you. I understood the joke.. no worries! You did not offend me and hello to a fellow Michigander. I simply see a lot of very rude or snide comments on threads here from 'experienced' photographers, and I found Bitter Jeweler to be very sarcastic in response to my question but that is fine, there is a great ignore feature on this site and the awesome ability to move on and continue taking pictures and practicing with the camera.
Oh, wow! Really? That's all it took to set you off? Really? A simple question? No attitude, no snark, no nothing.
Fine.

Laser beams was acceptable though, right?

Okay, I did, so perhaps my tired mind is playing tricks on me.

Yeah, cuz I have been nothing but polite to you, ever since your first thread.
:grumpy:

I was about to mention, I've just returned after a long break because people can be jerks around here.

BUT, looking through Bitter's posts in other threads, I don't think he meant any harm here.

EDIT:

I thought "laser beams" was just funny... Not unlike my joke about throwing babies. Timing is everything, I'm sure MissCream felt good advise was already given (which it had), so she'd throw a little humor in. Hence the "helpful post #..."

Well I have definitely considered finding another forum because of how mean people are (and it's not CC it's just plain meanness). Perhaps after reading CC all day of others looking for advice for myself, and seeing all the snootiness, I overreacted to Bitter Jeweler so I am sorry about that. I do not like drama, I just wanted to ask a question which I should have known the answer to but simply didn't. I always heard not to take photos of infants with flash because of their eyes, and I see these beautiful pictures and have no clue how they get so much light into them without a flash somewhere, I never thought of bouncing it off the wall because I am still waiting for my flash to be delivered and did not think about how I'll be able to rotate it. That's a great suggestion and I will definitely practice with it on my pets first lol.

Oh, wow! Really? That's all it took to set you off? Really? A simple question? No attitude, no snark, no nothing.
Fine.

Laser beams was acceptable though, right?

No, I blocked her too ;) It was a combination of your posts all in a row, I felt mocked and ridiculed. That's all.

You'd be amazed at how much you can do with natural light Shadowbox. I hope this isn't considered stealing the thread here but for this shoot all I had was one window light that was above a couch to the right of the baby. I used the white blanket, which the parents were holding at the bottom and top to help reflect light onto the right side of her. You may be able to tell teh left side of the blanket is kind of 'lifted' a bit to act as a reflector.

CalgaryPhotography6.jpg

The window can be seen here. It actually appears a bit bigger than it is in person but the top is literally right above the frame on the right.
CalgaryMaternityPhotography10.jpg

There really isn't much natural light in this room but with slightly higher ISOs and shooting near wide open and bouncing some of the ambient light around - it turned out okayish.

Check out ilovephotography.com when you are unhappy with this place. It's geared toward baby, child, and family photography, and they have some very tight moderation.

Wow the photo with the white sheet is so bright, and no, you're not stealing the thread. I am sure others are going to appreciate the tips too. Do you recommend any books about lighting techniques?

*shrug*

There's drama everywhere.

Sometimes digging through posts is a little one sided, and lacks a history.
Besides, I explained myself fully in Shadowbox's first thread: "Lot's a good smart people here willing to help, and a few dicks too. I can be both. :D"

Anywho. I accept your apology, an look forward to watching you progress, whether I am an active participant or blocked bystander. :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back