Do you use the internal metering system in your camera?

• Yes

Votes: 37 97.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Screenshot_20200315-230514_Chrome.jpg

My question is, where is this survey going???
Next, I'll just assume that the "no" vote probably didn't understand the question!!! LoL
SS

Here's more info about why I asked:

I didn't want to bias the responses at first with too much information (motive).

The internal meter systems in cameras read reflected light from the subject. As opposed to an incident meter that is used to measure the light directly. Reflected light meters can be off when the subject is abnormally bright or dark.

I've been doing this for a long time and used to own 3 different hand light meters. I gave the last one away about 8 years ago. I believe the camera internal meters (and camera control systems) have improved to the point where most photographers now, especially out of the studio, are, like me, happy using and do indeed use the camera's metering system.

I'm looking to validate my assumption about most photographers. I teach photography and it's nice to be able to tell a class I have a little more than just my belief when I tell them something.

Joe

Joe, thanks for the explanation. I agree with you that the meters in modern cameras are extremely accurate and in most situations no more is needed to produce a well exposed image. In fact I use spot metering a lot. I shoot a lot of very fast moving sports and the most important factor is that faces are properly exposed, hence the spot meter. I might switch between back lit, side lit and front lit and back and forth several times in the span of ten to fifteen seconds. I have to TRUST my in-camera meter!
In studio I often use a hand held to meter each light individually before my subjects arrive to get a good starting point and of course the camera is on full manual since the light is not gonna vary.
But there is no replacing experience such as in the case of a white bird in bright light!!
Don't fear the meter!!! LoL
Thanks, SS

I always used the meter, and still do, when using a mechanical film camera. So even with an older camera I'm able to get properly exposed B&W film negatives that aren't too dense and aren't too thin (for me the latter is a deal breaker, the former means spending more time zapping light thru a negative and why spend time doing that?! lol).

Derrel that's funny, your post makes it look like I was shouting - YES, I DO!! lol

I'm looking to validate my assumption about most photographers. I teach photography and it's nice to be able to tell a class I have a little more than just my belief when I tell them something.

Joe
Thanks for explaining Joe, why you had set up this survey. Even though this is just a small sample size, I think it is fairly representative of how photographers use the internal light meter.

I use a Hasselblad viewfinder with built in light meter or the small light meter designed for the winding crank. I use the in camera meter most of the time in my Canons, Nikons, Pentax 6x4.5 auto, handheld for my Rolleiflex f 3.5. For my Nikon S3 2000 I used a Voightlander meter mounted in the hot shoe. Since I’m not selling to clients anymore, I shoot for my own pleasure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Most reactions

New Topics

Back