Do you use your lens hood when shooting indoors?

lance70

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I was curious if there is an advantage of using your lens hood indoors or just use it for outdoors? Thanks. :)

My lens hood barely ever comes off any of my lens, not only does it help protect the front of the lens but will make sure you don't get any nasty flare from the lights you may be using inside. But it is up to you in the end, if your sure you will not get any flare then you may not need it. If the hood is going to get in the way then take it off, if it is not then your better just leaving it on just as a protective aid.

My lens hood barely ever comes off any of my lens, not only does it help protect the front of the lens but will make sure you don't get any nasty flare from the lights you may be using inside. But it is up to you in the end, if your sure you will not get any flare then you may not need it. If the hood is going to get in the way then take it off, if it is not then your better just leaving it on just as a protective aid.

Ditto

+3. Use the lens hood both inside and out.
The lens hood offers protection to the front lens element, helps control lens flare, and aids image contrast by preventing light from entering the lens at a shallow angle from the sides, top, and bottom.

I use the hood regardless of the setting unless there's a very compelling reason not to.

Always. I only have one lens that I don't have a hood for - the 40mm STM. The hood for that one is so tiny, I didn't really see the point of getting it...

Never comes off any of my lenses

Never use one. Find them incredibly cumbersome when out in the field and swapping lenses frequently. Haven't noticed anything detrimental from not having them.

I always use one. It's just become a habit.

My lens hoods are always on. The reason is when there's harsh light I never have to think about putting them on, and the rest of the time they help protect the front element. I never use UV filters for shooting. I use them only when I can't find a lens cap.

I always use a lens hood. It offers a bit of extra protection for the front element.

I guess I am missing the "why" of using a hood inside. Outside on a bright sunny day, maybe but in a dark room it just hampers light if anything.

Most reactions

Back