Dock at sunset

Both LR and PS have clone/healing tools. LR's is pretty crude, but as it's non-destructive (as are all LR edits), it's okay to play with. I really only use it for quick fixes, a spot of sensor dust or similar on an image that is going to be presented at fairly low resolution.

LR_Healing.jpg

In LR, it's the 'Healing Tool', immediately to the right of the Crop Tool below the navigation/history pane. It's got two settings, 'Clone', for replacing content with like, and 'Heal' for a content-aware replacement. The other three controls, 'Size' for brush size (Adobe quick key for brush size adjustment are left and right square brackets '[' ']'), 'Feather' for edge feathering and 'Opacity'.

PS on the other hand has a very sophisticated suite of tools for this, but the two most relevant are the 'Spot Healing Brush Tool' and the 'Healing Brush Tool'. Of the two, 'Spot Healing Brush Tool' is my favorite.

PS_Clone.jpg

They're both found under the healing brush icon (Looks like a band-aid to me...) on your tool pallet, and depending on how you set up PS, it will appear in different places on the pallet. At the top in the tool controls, you have a number of variables you can set from brush size and type to blend mode, as well whether you want it to work in Content=Aware mode, Create Texture mode, or Proximity Match. I've never found a use for Create Texture, but Content-Aware and Proximity Match are both very useful, and in my experience it's a matter of trying both to see which one works best in a given situation.

Thanks for the info and the screen shots. I'm going to finish the current LR tutorials I have marked and move on to PS. But, if you ever get a chance to try Affinity, definitely check out the inpainting tool. It is amazing.

Sounds more like Photoshop's content aware fill. Lightroom's cloning and healing tools are a bit more basic, if I need to clone out anything that's not dust spots or a straight replacement it's a PS job

This is a pano from earlier in the sunset that I processed after I fixed the screen.

Lake pano at sunset by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Love the colours and the detail in this one.
I use Lightroom 99% of the time for post processing. I keep meaning to sit down and spend more time with Photoshop but it's the sitting down bit that's the problem lol.

This is a pano from earlier in the sunset that I processed after I fixed the screen.

Lake pano at sunset by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Love the colours and the detail in this one.
I use Lightroom 99% of the time for post processing. I keep meaning to sit down and spend more time with Photoshop but it's the sitting down bit that's the problem lol.

I agree! I sit all day for work so my usual motto during my free time is why sit when you can shoot? But this quarantine lifestyle means a lot more screen time so this is an ideal time for me to learn to use a Mac and to learn LR and PS. LR seems pretty self explanatory and PS looks like it will take years to be anything other than adequate!

I don't know if the 2nd pic is true to life or not but it certainly looks better. Pretty scene, good job.

I don't know if the 2nd pic is true to life or not but it certainly looks better. Pretty scene, good job.

Thanks. Is that important to you? That it’s “true to life”? I’m not a newspaper photographer or claiming my photos are straight out of the camera. Unless otherwise stated, it’s safe to assume that any photo I post has been edited and/or enhanced to represent my vision of how I want the photo to look. If I do something radical like replace a sky or it’s a composite blend I usually will say so.

Thanks. Is that important to you? That it’s “true to life”? I’m not a newspaper photographer or claiming my photos are straight out of the camera. Unless otherwise stated, it’s safe to assume that any photo I post has been edited and/or enhanced to represent my vision of how I want the photo to look. If I do something radical like replace a sky or it’s a composite blend I usually will say so.

No, not important but since you made this statement ... "That is much darker than intended. I think my screen changed brightness on my laptop." I assumed that you were concerned that the first pic wasn't true to life, that it was unrealistically dark. I meant everything I said, "good job." Have a nice day!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back