Dock at sunset

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
That is much darker than intended. I think my screen changed brightness on my laptop. Still getting used to true tone and macbook.

Still too dark?

First attempt at a start to finish edit in LR...
LR is a great tool, and it can do about 80% of the heavy lifting, but IMO, it's rarely a start to finish tool. It's lack of layers and inability to produce complex selections really limit it's use as a 'one stop shop'.

First attempt at a start to finish edit in LR...
LR is a great tool, and it can do about 80% of the heavy lifting, but IMO, it's rarely a start to finish tool. It's lack of layers and inability to produce complex selections really limit it's use as a 'one stop shop'.

Agree - already ran into a couple of things I couldn't do in LR that I can do easily in Affinity. Of course, the reverse is true as well. I haven't ventured into PS yet and I'm assuming that will cover the gap and then some but was surprised to see no "inpainting" tool in LR. Maybe just haven't run into it yet. I'm half winging it and then watching tutorials as I run into each issue since the beginner tutorials are a bit too beginner for me and the advanced assume some basic knowledge that I don't have.

The primary reason for my trying Adobe LR and PS again is that I am continually running into workshops, tutorials, discussions, learning experiences etc. that are all about LR and PS and it was starting to feel like a handicap to my improving that I was not using them. For example in discussing editing milky way photos with some other photographers last week, all of the discussion was centered on how to edit in LR and some of that did not translate over to Affinity. Also found the same when researching anything online for editing, "how to X" - the majority of the responses are always LR and PS specific.

... the majority of the responses are always LR and PS specific.
Definitely the case; I've not looked for tutorials on other software, but certainly almost all the more expert stuff is going to be Adobe. Not sure what the function of the 'Finger painting' tool is, but I'm sure there's an equivalent.

That Pano looks great!

... the majority of the responses are always LR and PS specific.
Definitely the case; I've not looked for tutorials on other software, but certainly almost all the more expert stuff is going to be Adobe. Not sure what the function of the 'Finger painting' tool is, but I'm sure there's an equivalent.
Lake pano at sunset by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Inpainting - not to be confused with fingerpainting lol although on my ipad I do sometimes use my finger to paint with it so maybe it can be confused with it... Inpainting is a content aware photo repair tool. It is my favorite tool in Affinity Photo - great for removing power lines, branches, fences or other distractions, also for skin retouching and sensor boogers, especially with complicated backgrounds -

From the web:

"Inpainting Brush Tool
Inpainting is a context aware tool that fills in an area based on the surrounding areas. In the Photoshop world, the similar tool is called “Contextual Delete”. Whatever you call it, it is very powerful and incredibly useful when repairing an image.

Inpainting is fully automatic aside from the brush settings. In painting works wonders on natural textures such as clouds, blue sky, skin, grass, dirt and the like. It works well on some “human” structures like fences and brick walls.

Since the tool is fully automatic, it usually either works or it does not. If it fails to do what you want, you can undo the change and try again, or work incrementally. Because Inpainting is dependent on the image around the repair, the order that you use it in (fixing one part of the image before another) can make a different. If a repair doesn’t go as planned, undo and try it in a different order.

Inpainting Tool Use Cases
Inpainting is great for:

• Removing dust spots from the blue sky or clouds, removing unwanted items from the image such an exit sign in an event photo.
  • Repairing blemishes on skin, especially when paired with frequency separation.
  • As a starting point for complex repairs. It often doesn’t get it 100% right, but gets you closer so it is easier to fix with the other repair tools."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back