Does anybody bother anymore?

Happy Medium

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anybody still shoot film for professional portrait photography? I realize that it's so much more convenient and much more enconomical to shoot digital, but I'm wondering if any of you still bother? I'm in love with medium format, and it breaks my heart to see so little of it anymore.

Happy Medium said:
Does anybody still shoot film for professional portrait photography? I realize that it's so much more convenient and much more enconomical to shoot digital...

I think you just answered your own question. When working as a professional, cost and work flow are concerns that go beyond any notions to "still bother."

I still have my film cameras. In fact, my film cameras are "better" than the little bit of digital gear I have. I have a greater range of quaity optics for my film systems... so far.

But the turn-around time and cost of shooting film demand that I work with digital capture, especially for commercial work. I believe most of my portrait customers would accept the delivery time that goes along with film, but I see no value in increasing my cost of production with film, processing, proofing and scanning.

I still have archival concerns. I suspect there will come a time when it will be hard to find equipment to read a CD, even IF the CD hasn't deteriorated over time. I believe a negative will outlive a CD. Like I often say.... "Oh well."

-Pete Christie

Christie Photo said:
I still have archival concerns. I suspect there will come a time when it will be hard to find equipment to read a CD, even IF the CD hasn't deteriorated over time. I believe a negative will outlive a CD. Like I often say.... "Oh well."

-Pete Christie
I agree with you here, and that's why I like to stick with film for the important photos that I want people to see in 100+ years. :)

I still shoot with my Bronica GS 1, then I have the film developed by my lab. They digitize it and send the negatives and a CD of all the images back to me along with a 5 x 7 index print. So I have the best of both worlds, a complete set of negatives to file away and a CD of all the images.

Tally Ho

I still shoot MF for all my weddings and some portraits. I like Mr. Ho's "Best of Both Worlds" approach. I'll have to go that route next time. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back