achtungbarry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.achtungbarry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I've been reading some of the threads for a while and have already picked up some great tips. I've also seen some great work from many of the people on here and can't wait to learn from others here. Now it is time to start participating and posting.

Anyway, I have question about card photo mounts :

I like to use simple black card mounts with the inner rectangle cut at a 45 degree angle to give a nice white inner border.

Most of my shots are 10 x 8 so it is easy to find mounts on ebay and in photography shops etc.

However I have several custom sized shots that would require tailor made mounts. I would like to be able to make them myself.

What tools are required for example to cut at a 45 degree angle. What do you use to get accurate measurements ?

Are there any good tutorials out there ? So far my searches have turned up little of any use.

Cheers.

I did have a little gadget to do this but I could never get it to produce good, even results.

I also got someone who was a great deal more dexterous than I to try and they had the same problem.

In the end I had to satisfy myself with 90 degree cuts.

Sorry that's not much help but I thought you should be alerted to the fact that a simple gadget may not give the results you want.

You need a matte cutter - they are usually available from art stores. You will also need a straight edge, preferably metal, a ruler pencil and cutting board. The matte cutter will come with instructions and can be used for any rectangular mounts. You can also get matte cutters that can produce round or oval apertures but these tend to be rather expensive.

Most reactions

Back