Does anyone have a solution for this?

Nickanoor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, I have a Canon T2i with a 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-250mm telephoto lens. I've had it for almost a year now, but haven't had the time to play around with it much. Some photos I took back in the fall, I put into PS and did a few adjustments, which I can't quite remember exactly what I did now since I did them last year. Anyway after editing them, they always come out grainy, extremely grainy. The dove is the worst, but you get the idea. You may not see it that well, but if I open any picture I've edited in a live-view gallery, Facebook, etc, they all look absolutely terrible. Can anyone tell me why? I see people using older cameras than mine and their pictures are beyond anything I could hope to take. I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. If it lets you, please click "View Original." Thanks for your time.

Noise is much more prevalent in darker areas because of the low 'signal to noise' ratio. In other words, where there is lots of light/exposure, there is plenty of 'signal' or information. The dark areas have less signal, so the noise will show up more.

Also, when you edit an image...especially when you brighten an image, the noise will become more visible. So the biggest key to avoiding noise is to nail your exposure and not have to rely on fixing it in post.

And of course, high ISO is the cause of much noise. So keeping your ISO low is best for avoiding noise...but don't be afraid of it and don't be hesitant to turn up the ISO when needed. Even high ISO shots can look OK when you get the exposure right.

These shots don't look too bad...maybe you're being too critical. There may be other issues when using Facebook or other sites/programs etc.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I usually keep my ISO on the lowest setting because to be honest, I am afraid of it. lol How do you nail the exposure right if you're holding it in hand and not on a tripod? That may be a bit of a nooby question, but I am still quite new. Also, is it possible to get a good night picture without a flash and still holding it in hand?

Night shots will require you shutter to be open for a longer period of time then normal shots so a tri pod is a must. Not only that most use a remote trigger because even with a tri pod pushing the button with your finger can be enough to cause camera shake in a night shot. I am a nooby myself but the best thing I did was to buy a copy of Understanding Exposure, by Peterson. It will be the best money you can spend at this point in the hobby.

Night shots will require you shutter to be open for a longer period of time then normal shots so a tri pod is a must. Not only that most use a remote trigger because even with a tri pod pushing the button with your finger can be enough to cause camera shake in a night shot. I am a nooby myself but the best thing I did was to buy a copy of Understanding Exposure, by Peterson. It will be the best money you can spend at this point in the hobby.

Yeah, I actually have that. I bought that and "Learning to see creatively" Haven't read either yet. I guess I should be reading those instead of asking, but I thought I'd try my luck and see what you guys thought about it. =]

You learn how to read and use the light meter in the camera's viewfinder.

Exposure accuracy has little to do with using, or not using, a tripod.

It is almost impossible to get a good night picture without a flash or a tripod. Auto focus needs a certain amount of light to work properly, and ISO has to be increased to make the image sensor more sensitive to light if strobed light (flash) isn't used. Increasing ISO adds amplifier noise to the normal signal-to-noise ratio noise all image sensors have.

You can avoid inceasing the ISO by leaving the shutter open longer, but that's where a tripod comes in, because a camera cannot be hand held still enough to prevent camera shake blur.

If you can find an evening or day free the understanding exposure book can be read in several hours.

Okay, one last question if you all don't mind. Is there a remote I can get for my Canon T2i that doesn't require me to press the button to open the shutter? I know I can with a laptop and the usb, but unfortunately for me, I don't have a laptop.

I am a noob too so I cant offer any real critique but dont be afraid to play around with your iso and all the other settings on your camera... I have alot to learn and you get alot from books, I have read a couple but I found the best way to learn was by sitting in my garden, taking photos of anything using different iso, white balance, etc... but then I tend to learn more by doing things as im dyslexic. I know its hard to find the time.. I work a demanding full time job but my advice would be to take photos any chance you get! I hope this helps!:)

Okay, one last question if you all don't mind. Is there a remote I can get for my Canon T2i that doesn't require me to press the button to open the shutter? I know I can with a laptop and the usb, but unfortunately for me, I don't have a laptop.
As linked above, there is a Canon wired remote. There might be a Canon wireless remote for your camera as well.

There are also many cheap (usually Chinese made) remotes. I have a wired remote and a wireless remote for my cameras. Total cost was probably $20 plus shipping.

And of course, you don't need a remote at all. Just switch the camera into self timer mode. :p

As linked above, there is a Canon wired remote. There might be a Canon wireless remote for your camera as well.

There are also many cheap (usually Chinese made) remotes. I have a wired remote and a wireless remote for my cameras. Total cost was probably $20 plus shipping.

And of course, you don't need a remote at all. Just switch the camera into self timer mode. :p

I can't seem to find a timer that will go longer than about three seconds. I seem to be only able to get to it by using the multiple shot setting. When it goes off, it takes like five pictures. I've no idea what mirror lock-up is. lol Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it. Do the remotes eliminate the camera shake or just minimize it?

I can't seem to find a timer that will go longer than about three seconds. I seem to be only able to get to it by using the multiple shot setting. When it goes off, it takes like five pictures. I've no idea what mirror lock-up is. lol Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it. Do the remotes eliminate the camera shake or just minimize it?

Use manual mode, it should hold the shutter open to whatever you set it at for like uhm... 30 seconds?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back