Does anyone here use a Nikon D40 for professional use?

Trish1977

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would I be able to do some portrait photography with a D40, or would I have to have a D80 or even D200/300 to get shots that "look professional"? I know that even with the best camera you can buy that some shots won't "look professional" because either the person using the camera doesn't know how to properly use it or they just don't have a "good eye", so let's assume that's not the case.

I know a sports shooter who uses it outside for football with a flash because it has a 1/500th sync rate without having to use FP (not that you COULD use FP on a D40, not an option)

Do yourself a favor and get a D80, D200 or D300 and skip the D40 for professional use...

D80 is the MINIMUM I would consider.

I agree, the D40 while capable of great images is too limited in features and build quality to use at the Pro level. It may work, but I doubt it would hold up for long.

if you have it already...then I'm sure you could adapt it to some low level professional stuff. You could do indoor studio type work with it fine...

But I certainly wouldn't count on it in a high stakes situation like a wedding or a one chance model shoot.

I would say the D80 is a minimum if you're gonna buy a new camera.

Just like I have a rebel XT, which I'm sure I could get away with in a studio...I would not want to get into any serious pro stuff, cause I know there's cameras that are more durable, more reliable, and with better picture quality...for Canon I would say a D30/D40 is a minimum...

There are always those that will prove me wrong though...because I know lots of people use lesser cameras for much better results and higher pay.

I have a D80, and I'd say the built quality is pretty decent. I'm not sure if it'd stand up to repeated professional-level use. Especially if you were a nature shooter, the body doesn't seem that well-sealed. I mean, I love my D80, don't get me wrong, but I'd be kidding myself if I said it strikes me as a 'professional' lens. And if the D80 isn't 'pro', the D40 sure isn't.

I have a D80, and I'd say the built quality is pretty decent. I'm not sure if it'd stand up to repeated professional-level use. Especially if you were a nature shooter, the body doesn't seem that well-sealed. I mean, I love my D80, don't get me wrong, but I'd be kidding myself if I said it strikes me as a 'professional' lens. And if the D80 isn't 'pro', the D40 sure isn't.

I agree, and would recommend probably a D200 or 300 over it...but some people just can't afford it.

You could easily produce professional results with a D40.

Is it as fast, or durable as a more expensive body? no.

But an 85mm f/1.4 looks exactly the same on a D40 as it does on a D2x.

For professional operation, i'd be more concerned about the lenses than the body.

The lighting, lenses, and how you take advantage of them are what's going to make professional looking images.

You could easily produce professional results with a D40.

Is it as fast, or durable as a more expensive body? no.

But an 85mm f/1.4 looks exactly the same on a D40 as it does on a D2x.

For professional operation, i'd be more concerned about the lenses than the body.

The lighting, lenses, and how you take advantage of them are what's going to make professional looking images.

Actually, I'm gonna have to agree even though just above I said D40 for a 'pro' would be tough to do. A D40 with 'pro' lenses would produce 'pro' images.

Thanks so much!!!!!! I'm finally getting really serious about learning more about photography so that I can start doing some "shoots" for friends and family (for experience, practice, and fun) and see if it's something I want to do for a living. Even if I never do it professionally I want to be able to take better photos than the average person who has just a p&s.

Can I get good lenses that will work on the D40, D1X, and the D300? Is the lens that comes with the D40 a good enough lens to start with and does it also work with a D300 and D1X?

I have a D1X that was just given to me. It was my father's back-up camera and he did professional children's photography. The problem is - it's very heavy, it's a bit overwhelming for someone just learning, it has no built-in flash (and I have no flash for it), and the battery is dead and I have no charger for it. I want to keep it and eventually learn how to use it, but I think for now instead of spending a lot of money on the things I would need to buy to get it "up and running" I'm thinking about getting a D40 for Christmas. Plus, I figure I can learn on the D40 and take some great photos right away and if I do decide to go professional in the future I can invest in a D300 or better. Plus, if I get a better camera in the future I can still use the D40 for some things and my husband can use it.

I just hate sometimes that there are SO many choices and things to consider.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for reading and offering advice!

The D40 kit lens will work on the other cameras, but it's quality is really sub par. IMHO, you would be MUCH better off getting a battery charger, a couple batteries and the Thom Hogan e-book for the D1X. I have 3 D1X's and think they are still an outstanding camera. I think that even though I now own a D3. The D1X is not in the same league as the D3, but IMO it's a better camera than the D40 ever could be. A big advantage to the D1 series is you can use older manual focus lenses if you like and they will meter. Also, a used SB-80DX or new SB-800 flash will work much better than the built in flash on any DSLR. The D40 flash is really only good for about 10 feet. The cost of 2 new batteries, a used charger and a used flash should be cheaper than a D40. If you need a lens, pick up a 50mm f/1.8 for around $60-110 (used-new) and you are set. Believe me, you will have a much better camera that can do a lot more. As for the D1X's weight, my wife has small hands and does not mind the D1. Se does not like the "feel" of the all plastic D40, said it felt like a kids toy. (Before I tick off someone, her words, not mine. Even if I do agree with her. :) )

P.S.
To save money, you could get a SB-600, it will work on the D1X and D3/D300. It just is a lower powered flash than the SB-800.
SB-800 new $320
Battery new on ebay $30.00 X 2. (I have used these for a while and they work fine)
Used battery charger on ebay $50.00
Uesd 50mm f/1.8 on ebay $60.00

total $490.00 or so.

Thanks jstuedle for giving me hope for the D1X and to Snyder for giving me hope for the D40.

I think what I'll probably end up doing is getting the D40 mainly because it seems easier to use (for me=beginner) AND soon get all the stuff I need for the D1X. I'm going to try to get a second job at a portrait studio or camera store so I can have more money to do this stuff and learn at the same time. I think the Sears portrait studio is kinda lame, but they're hiring and I could get PAID (even though very little) to take pictures.

Plus, all the serious photographers I know have SEVERAL cameras anyway, so it can't hurt to have both, right? AND, nothing I have or get is ever just mine anyway because my husband has at least a small interest in photography and it would be great if we BOTH had good cameras to use.

I'll pay the shipping if you want to just send me that D1X you don't seem to want to use :D.

Haha... I DO want to use it, I just have NO IDEA how and it has no power or flash right now. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it because it was my father's and he died a year ago after a horrible 8 month battle with cancer.

So, no I won't be sending my D1X anybody's way. I WILL learn to use it within the nest few months and I will cherish it for the rest of my life since it's the only thing I really have to remember my father with.

The thing is... I went into Best Buy tonight, picked up the D40, turned it on and started taking decent photos with it. NO TRAINING, NO READING THE MANUEL, NO INSTRUCTION. Maybe I have no reason to be overwhelmed by the D1X, but I am. But in a few months I hope to be taking some great photos with it that would make my father proud.

:)

yes, it will be fine...as long as you have good lens....will you have some limitiations?, yes....especially if you are shooting sports, as it doesnt have the frames/second as a pro body does...... the only difference between d80 & d200 is $1000 and a more rugged build....if you arent standing in the rain shooting and arent rough with your gear, you will be fine with a d80/d40. The d40 is smaller than a d80 and you will find the weight of it nicer to handle, especially if this is your first slr.

Knowing how your camera operates, knowing the ins & outs of producing a good photograph depend far more on you than the body you choose.

good luck!

Most reactions

Back