Does wb affect focus

Wait your students kicked you out?
Methinks the group is nuts

My guess is that they set WB incorrectly and then correctly and saw a difference in the contrast of the scene when they reviewed it and thus assumed that the more contrasty - ergo "sharper appearing" shot came from the correct white balance setting. Might also be that they tested on a poor subject and that they got actual focus problems with the WB set wrong which, due to unrelated factors, then worked on the shots that they took with the right WB (this being even more the case of the scene/lighting changed between the test shots - since not everyone knows to do tests properly).

Honestly sounds like the group has problems, sometimes you have to be very authoritative when giving information to a group to prevent "smart" students taking over when they really know very little.

I am one of three mentors who started the group over a year ago. . I was warned by a moderator to stop "arguing" my point or be removed from the group. Of course I didn't stop and then they deleted my comments so I removed myself from the group.

Last edited:
How odd - I guess either the mentor isn't a photographer or that things got more to the heated insults/accusations stage of things

Yea it was me vs another mentor and I think she didn't wanna look wrong in front of her students. [emoji16]. She is running a paid course and I called her out.

Yea it was me vs another mentor and I think she didn't wanna look wrong in front of her students. [emoji16]. She is running a paid course and I called her out.
Sooner or later they'll learn the correct information

Sooner or later they'll learn the correct information

Maybe. None are so blind as those who refuse to see.

Did the other mentor do the testing or did they site research to give the basis for their claim.

Are they claiming this on just a different WB setting in the camera, or scenes with different color temps?

Is the issue just related to the speed of autofocus or is the claim that it gives a different focus distance setting?

Are we talking about phase detection autofocus or just on contrast based autofocus?

I think FB is a poor location to try and resolve a disagreement so probably best you stepped away from the issue there.

Probably better to say something off the site, in a message, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to get into it with another mentor or instructor or whatever especially in front of students. They'll figure out at some point that this doesn't make sense about WB and focus. Takes being somewhat objective if you're the one mentoring or running a meeting or whatever.

At the same time, this 'mentor' is taking money from people from lessons and yet doesn't know what white balance is all about and what it does and does not affect? I'm glad you called her out on it. She shouldn't be teaching anyone! Let alone taking money for doing so...

At the same time, this 'mentor' is taking money from people from lessons and yet doesn't know what white balance is all about and what it does and does not affect? I'm glad you called her out on it. She shouldn't be teaching anyone! Let alone taking money for doing so...

But this is vital to our industry as a whole, as well as the global economy!

Without such clueless teachers, the supply of Facebook Fotographers would shrivel to nothing. Without them, how are we supposed to maintain the MWACs? No one would be able to pay $150 for a CD chock-full of wedding photos with Instagram and dutch tilt filters. Where will the next generation of iPhotographers come from?

The world demands cheap images, and some are willing to actually PAY for knowing how to produce them!

... CD chock-full of wedding photos with Instagram and dutch tilt filters. Where will the next generation of iPhotographers come from?

The world demands cheap images, and some are willing to actually PAY for knowing how to produce them!
They make filters for dutch tilt ?
Are they round screw-on filters or do you need a Lee/Cokin type holder ?

:bouncingsmileys:

My old lenses had the IR mark for focusing for the infrared wavelength. So it would seem that different wavelengths of light could affect focusing. I gave a quick look and found a few links

However as most noted here, the WB setting made in the camera is applied after the image is captured by the sensor, so that setting would not affect focus. Otherwise, camera makers could just add an IR setting to the WB and the camera could focus properly if the IR filter was removed from the sensor.

Last edited:
is someone confusing white balance with color temps and atmospheric conditions?

... CD chock-full of wedding photos with Instagram and dutch tilt filters. Where will the next generation of iPhotographers come from?

They make filters for dutch tilt ?
Are they round screw-on filters or do you need a Lee/Cokin type holder ?

:bouncingsmileys:

They're rear-mounted gels.
fiufiu.gif

But this is vital to our industry as a whole, as well as the global economy!

Without such clueless teachers, the supply of Facebook Fotographers would shrivel to nothing. Without them, how are we supposed to maintain the MWACs? No one would be able to pay $150 for a CD chock-full of wedding photos with Instagram and dutch tilt filters. Where will the next generation of iPhotographers come from?

For what its worth, the group is full of some amazingly talented photographers. These people can really shoot and are just working on refining, finding their photographic voice/style, + putting together a portfolio.

Most reactions

Back