Dof - Bokeh excercise

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Pushing the boundaries of dof and focusing on the background . D3300 - Sigma 105mm macro. So I learned... increase shutter speed, expose with aperture, while using flash creates a darker, more interesting oof area. Lower shutter speed for more detail in background (# 2 & 4).

DSC_2286e.jpg

DSC_2274e.jpg

DSC_2240e.jpg

DSC_2364e.jpg

Pushing the boundaries of dof and focusing on the background . D3300 - Sigma 105mm macro. So I learned... increase shutter speed, expose with aperture, while using flash creates a darker, more interesting oof area. Lower shutter speed for more detail in background (# 2 & 4).

View attachment 127235

View attachment 127234

View attachment 127233

View attachment 127238
Great set. I don't often think " exciting" and "flower" in the same sentence, but I just did.

Interesting technique. I've never flashed on a macro before.
Also, as a macro photog myself I think these are fun shots, but being this on top of your subject requires a slightly deeper depth of field, a better angle, or focus stacking. The rose bud and the sunflower aren't too bad, but in the other two there's so much of the subject matter or what could be considered subject matter that's out of focus it's distracting. Actually, in 2, it looks like you could have even pushed the depth of field back a little more to get more of the flower in focus and less of the spiky green.

Interesting technique. I've never flashed on a macro before.
Also, as a macro photog myself I think these are fun shots, but being this on top of your subject requires a slightly deeper depth of field, a better angle, or focus stacking. The rose bud and the sunflower aren't too bad, but in the other two there's so much of the subject matter or what could be considered subject matter that's out of focus it's distracting. Actually, in 2, it looks like you could have even pushed the depth of field back a little more to get more of the flower in focus and less of the spiky green.

Thanks for the comments. It was definitely an exercise for learning what the lens will do. It was only the third time using the lens. I doubt I will do the focus stacking as I am not fond of editing. In all reality, I am just learning / discovering. I take one thing at a time to see how the camera / lens perform. I do have a specific vision and appearance in mind but have not found all the answers yet, getting closer but yet so far away. I also learned the on-board flash is extremely useful and is a big piece of the vision, I stumbled across it.

Ahhh, I see. When I fist got my 60mm, macro was the only thing I wanted to do. I spent a lot of time learning its abilities and figuring out how to make things work.

Nice set JC. Finally took the plunge new "to me" macro on the way. You have giveno me a lot of new ideas to try

Nice set JC. Finally took the plunge new "to me" macro on the way. You have giveno me a lot of new ideas to try

Thanks. That's cool, can't wait to see what you do. It is way different using this lens, almost to a point that I was afraid to use it after the first go around. So many misses and I can't always see them on the preview screen. A tripod is very helpful but so flippin cumbersome to me outside the studio. I have a monopod but I haven't figured that stupid thing out yet either. However, I did read a thread today where @Gary A. suggested a ball head and that may just make it a little easier since there is no collar on my Sigma. What macro did you buy?

Ahhh, I see. When I fist got my 60mm, macro was the only thing I wanted to do. I spent a lot of time learning its abilities and figuring out how to make things work.

I have been shooting for a year at the end of the month. I had a 60mm but I ended up getting rid of it as I bought it to catalog a stamp collection going to auction. I got more than I paid for it. Now I have this clunky, makeshift copy stand I boogered together. I need to disassemble it and put it away.

The monopod has been very useful to me sometimes, especially when my shots are closer to the ground. But, my technique to help avoid misses (not foolproof, but helps) is to exhale slowly while clicking the shutter. I know that sounds really silly and shaolin monkish, but for me shooting macro is like a meditation and the shutter click is part of that. The shutter is breath, young grasshopper. ;)

Most reactions

Back